Noisy washing machine fixed.

I posted a few days ago about my mum's (er, and dad's, of course) washing machine. It was making a loud strange buzzing/squeaking noise every now and again. Quite hard to describe, but it sounded electrical, rather than mechanical. Magnetostriction springs to mind, but I've never heard it so loud. It sounded like it was coming from the area of the controls, so I thought I'd take the top off, get me mum to wash something, and look for sparks.

Anyway, once the top was off, I had a quick look at the PCB, and noticed some carbon dust had collected around a small transformer. My first thought was that it was faulty, but then it occurred to me that the transformer may just be attracting the dust into that area, and that it was the dust itself (being conductive) that may be the problem, since it was in a high voltage area of the board. I brushed and blew the dust away, and amazingly, the problem seems to be fixed. Although, of course, just taking out the PCB and putting it back may have also fixed some small mechanical problem.

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm for me that a build up of carbon dust on a PCB could actually cause such a strange loud shrieking noise?

Reply to
Ivan Dobsky

Unlikely I would say.

What is more likely is a bad connection on one of the edge-connector contacts, particularly the high current ones feeding the motor. Was there any evidence of burning on the connectors?

Also the motor brushes can cause clicking/bumping/shuddering noises when they get worn down so much that they barely touch the commentator.

Disturbing things may have fixed it, but it may be temporary. Keep a close eye on it for a while.

Reply to
Graham.

I'll let Murray Walker know.. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isn't he re-tyred now? :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Where did said dust come from though? I'd have thought it was brush debris, but getting it to fall upwards does seem to mean its not from that source! However dry joints on pcbs after a while can interfere with the smooth control of motors solenoids and relays so maybe you made it conduct better again for a while. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes unchecked use of spellcheckers is a constant worry. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I'd assumed it was from the brushes. However, it was gathering on the other side of the PCB in exactly the same place, which even more makes me think it had been attracted to the area, rather than coming form that area.

Reply to
Ivan Dobsky

They all seemed okay. I'm pretty sure I'd have spotted that.

I can imagine that.

It's looking good so far. Mum's used it several times each day since.

Reply to
Ivan Dobsky

Candidate for a fire. Best she stay in when it's running.

Reply to
Artic