SDS+ & SDS max

What is the difference between these two types of drill? I have always boug ht SDS+ for my ELU machine and was always under the impression that there w as a difference in the tool holders and the drills were not interchangeable . However having mistakenly picked up an SDS max drill bit and thinking I m ay have to return it, I compared it to all my other bits and then noticed t here was no difference. Went on to use it and it performed as normal.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Seems a bit odd... Could it have been miss labelled?

SDS and SDS+ may have some interchangeability, but SDS Max will not fit a SDS/SDS+ machine. The SDS Max shank is something like 18mm compared with the 10mm shank of the SDS+

Reply to
John Rumm

I have an old Bosch CSB 520-2E 520Watt hammer drill, but I thought it was about time I had an SDS, so I bought a cheap Lidl Parkside 620Watt SDS+.

Apart from using chisel bits to make chases, will this lightweight SDS out-perform the Bocsh when drilling masonry? I haven't had the opportunity to compare them yet.

Reply to
Graham.

look up the impact energies & rates

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ught SDS+ for my ELU machine and was always under the impression that there was a difference in the tool holders and the drills were not interchangeab le. However having mistakenly picked up an SDS max drill bit and thinking I may have to return it, I compared it to all my other bits and then noticed there was no difference. Went on to use it and it performed as normal.

  • & max are different size fittings, one does not fit the other. So somethi ng in that story isn't right.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

By 'eck yes! I've a Bosch drill from '97 and it works well on bricks and similar. On the concrete lintels it's marginal and just fails if it hits a good pebble. The Parkside SDS does need some force but will do the job. BTW, I used the Bosch after several years with an 18V combi - oh, the noise, weight and vibration! We're spoiled nowadays.

Reply to
PeterC

This is the drill I bought which clearly says In the catalogue listing SDS+, but on the packaging which of course I did not read until I got home it said SDS max.

Since it is an SDS+ drill as listed it must have been incorrectly marked on the packaging . Thank you for pointing out the difference between the the two types of shank.