SDS+ -> SDS Max adaptor?

Does anyone know if such a thing is available? I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS Max bit. The other way round is widely available. Otherwise I'll machine the shank down and use it in a hammer drill. That seems rather a shame though.

Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Can't say I have ever seen one that converts that way around.

SDS bits don't tend to cut that well without the high energy SDS style hammer action.

Is it a particularly exotic bit?

Or a justification for a SDS max drill ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I hired one with a 40mm SDS max bit from HSS about 16 years ago, to use in my SDS+ drill.

Only problem is (and they warned me of this), you won't be able to separate the adaptor from the bit after you've used it, so you can't use it with more than one bit. They had a machine to separate them when you bring them back.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Reply to
Nick

That's interesting. I had never heard of SDS max until I recently, and inadvertantly, bought a 22mm specimen. I had imagined they were a fairly modern innovation. The HSS bit of kit does appear a bit daft though. Perhaps things have progressed in the last 16 years.

Reply to
Nick

They are a bit of a niche tool - but massively useful if you are doing enough of the right kind of drilling, or good as a medium weight concrete breaker.

I have one that I picked up for a ridiculous price some years ago when I wanted a medium weight concrete breaker - it was a Wickes branded (either a rebadged Kress or Sparky - not sure which) - I think someone posted here they were discontinuing them and posted a link. They had been reducing the price ever more to shift the last few. Found they had one at our local store, and had to get them to go look for it. Eventually they found it, took a look in the box and noticed that the tube of grease has oozed a bit over the tool - so they knocked another fiver off it! Got it for £25 IIRC.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think it's deliberate that they jam together rigid. If they didn't, the bit would be harder to handle, and the SDS probably not as effective.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel