Car scrapping in 1965

Health and Safety. What's that?

Fabulously unsafe.

Reply to
Vortex13

We have some early cine film of me, aged about 6, discovering an old Ford Popular/Anglia/Prefect on the disused railway line near Thorner (*), and having great fun pretending to drive it. My dad found an old tool set in the boot and still has some of the spanners and screwdrivers that were in it.

When we went on holiday to a caravan site near West Witton in Wensleydale, I found an old quarry pit that was full of dumped cars, went back for my screwdriver and liberated a few speedos etc that I adorned my "den" with when we got back from holiday. While I was there, a chap drove up with an Austin 1100 on the back of a tractor trailer, and my dad and I help him push it into the gully - it made a very satisfying crash as it hit the bottom. We didn't think about the possibility that there may have been any other little boys in the cars in the gully who might have been crushed by the falling car. That was in the late 60s.

(*) Between Leeds and Wetherby

Reply to
NY

Excellent.

Reply to
ARW

Total nostalgia...life was better then even so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

1 min in "The dustmen etc"

Some things never change. They have never been happy unless they are on strike.

Reply to
ARW

Unless you were born at 25 weeks or needed complex surgery or had any sort of oncological problem.

Reply to
Andrew

Then you just died.

Happy.

A short happy life is better than a long miserable one

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd ask those experiencing it

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have

Experienced it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So why haven't you ended it (your life that is), what's the point of a lon g and miserable life ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Just get a divorce instead.

Reply to
ARW

Bceasue that wont get me a short happy one will it?

Christ some people are thick.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

nearly there....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The expert speaks. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Too late now to put him out of his misery ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

"Shedding 100 lbs of unsightly fat."

Reply to
Max Demian

We didn't have cancer back then. Enjoying cigarettes and booze with no health warnings or "unit" limits; racing through tight country lanes at

100mph pissed out of our heads on snakebite. It was a wonderful time. Today is s**te by comparison, as anyone over a certain age will know from personal experience.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The way it should be.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They're happy now, they take great delight in putting stickers on bins because you've put the wrong thing in it, despite having previously told you in person that it's ok to put that in there.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Good god! Brent was actually quite beautiful half a century ago. The contrast with today is simply staggering. :(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom