Heating system pumping UNDER, anyone?

I guess that many of us have come across primary vented systems which pump *over* - where there is a constant flow of water out of the vent pipe back into the F&E tank.

But is the opposite also possible - where air is sucked in through the vent pipe, and water forced back up the fill pipe into the F&E tank?

I have recently been tearing my hair out - what's left of it(!) - trying to sort out a friend's heating and hot water system.

The system has a floor-standing conventional boiler (Potterton Kingfisher Mf - c.2003) in the garage, with a vented primary circuit which has a fill & expansion tank in the attic. The hot water system is unvented, employing a Heatrae Sadia Megaflow indirect cylinder (c. 1995) in the first floor airing cupboard.

The CH and HW primary circuits each have their own pump and are entirely separate - only meeting at the boiler connections. [There is some relay logic which runs the boiler when one or other or both circuits are calling for heat]. The only motorised valve is part of the Megaflow installation. This opens in response to the tank stat, and its auxiliary contacts turn the pump on.

The basic system was designed and installed by my friend several decades ok, but has had a new boiler and pumps, plus replacing the vented HW cylinder by an unvented one in the meantime. The current configuration has remained unchanged since about 2003 - and has worked ok until recently.

Problem is that my friend is now in a care home, and his wife sends for me when things go wrong!

The initial problem reported to me was lots of gurgling and banging in the pipes when the HW was being heated. When I investigated, I found that the F&E tank in the attic was completely empty - the ball valve had stuck shut, and all the water had evaporated. That would explain the symptoms, I thought - with air entering the system because of the lack of top-up water. So I freed up the ball valve, allowed the system to re-fill and bled air out from all available places.

When I turned the system on, the boiler would run for a couple of minutes and then stop. The HW pump was running, but there didn't seem to be any flow - in that the flow pipe from the boiler wasn't getting hot. At this point, the pump speed was on its minimum setting - which is how I had found it. When I turned it up to max, the boiler fired for much longer, and the pipes got hot. I could still hear air going through the system though.

There is obviously still a problem. My feeling is that there is still air in the system, which I haven't succeeded in removing. With the pump on its lowest setting, there is no circulation - even though there used to be - and the water obviously doesn't get hot. So presumably, there is an air lock.

If I turn the pump speed up enough to get the water to flow, we're back to the dreadful gurgling and banging - all the way up to the F&E tank. On one occasion, the water in the F&E tank became very hot, and the level rose to the point where it started to overflow. [I began to wonder whether there was an internal leak in the coil in the HW cylinder, but the level went down again fairly quickly once I had turned everything off - so I'm pretty sure that's not the case].

My feeling is that, when the pump is run fast enough to make the water circulate despite an air lock, air is actually being drawn into the system through the vent pipe - what might be described as pumping

*under*, as per the title. Anyone come across this? In case it helps to visualise the system, I've drawn a somewhat crude diagram of just the HW circuit, which can be seen at
As can be seen, the fill and vent pipes connect to that circuit in the vicinity of the HW cylinder. Note: The pump is on the return side, close to the boiler - pumping *towards* the boiler.

Any suggestions as to how I can get all the air out, and get the system working as it did before the F&E tank dried up?

I'm almost tempted to suggest converting the primary circuit to unvented, which should make it easier to eliminate the air. But it's worked ok as a vented system for decades - so shouldn't be necessary.

Am I missing anything obvious?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Could the header tank drying out allowed some crud that was sat in / on the water there to have been drawn into the system? Hence causing a partial blockage - say at the zone valve in the HW primary... that could cause unexpected circulation patterns.

Reply to
John Rumm

I once had a similar problem with constantly needing to bleed. I had exactl y the same theory and turning down the pump fixed the problem. In my case b uilding work had temporarily removed a number of rads causing the problem. You could seal something over the vent pipe (eg a bit of balloon) and see i f it is sucking or pushing stuff out. Are you bleeding all rads with all pu mps off? Also, assume the ball valve is working correctly now so fully repl enishing the system as you remove the air?

If airlock is the problem you could try switching all rads except 1 on and run the pump then try bleeding it. Continuing one by one. Having said that, sounds like when you put pump on max it appears to be strong enough.

When the pump is on low, do all rads heat up and are there cold spots on th em? Top cold implies air so bleed , bottom cold implies crud

Reply to
leenowell

Are all the radiators getting hot? If not you may have a airlock in the pipes supplying them which may be the source of the some air getting back to the to the pump or boiler. If so run the pump at full speed and just turn on one radiator at a time to try and force the water through the problem pipe length.

Since the tank ran dry have the radiators been bled? While the tank was dry air could have been sucked in and distributed to the radiators.

Reply to
alan_m

The above has just happened to me! Putting Fernox into the header after an unplanned drain down, I was horrified to watch floating crud (some sort of algal growth) disappearing down the make up pipe:-(

Difficult to judge any impact. Initially the boiler tripped a few times and the circulation was very noisy. Lots of trapped air due to long horizontal pipe runs which cleared over a couple of days. This is an old boiler (25 years) so I am hopeful that the heat exchanger is not overly susceptible to blockage. There is an air vent which I keep venting manually.

The need for relay controls may imply that the valve does not have a microswitch. I am currently trying something similar with a diverter valve and plan to report back. One initial thought is that the relay will be instant while the associated valve may take several seconds to fully move. Possibly leading to pump flow going somewhere unexpected particularly if the valve fails! My circuit is pressurised.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I suppose that's possible. But the water *is* circulating through the coil and heating the HW. What would happen if it had gone up the vent pipe, and blocked that?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'm satisfied that the ball valve is working ok. You may have missed the point that there are two pumps - one for the HW and one for the CH. When I first freed the ball valve and replenished the top-up water, I did run both parts of the system, and the radiators did get hot. I bled them, and very little air came out.

More recently, I've only run the HW side, so I wouldn't expect the radiators to get hot. Bearing in mind the fact that the F&E tank is connected to the HW circuit - either side of the coil - this is the main candidate for air. When the HW pump is on low, the pipe going to the cylinder coil doesn't get hot - indicating no circulation. When the pump is turned up, its gets hot - but then the gurgling and banging starts!

Reply to
Roger Mills

The relay is there because there are two pumps, one for each circuit - and the boiler needs to run when either or both pumps are on.

The valve *does* have a micro-switch. The sequence is that the manual HW switch (there is no timer) powers the tank stat which opens the valve if the water temperature is below the stat setting. When the valve is open, its micro-switch switches on the HW pump. *Then* the relay logic switches on the boiler if it's not already running for the CH. So the pump can't run with the valve shut.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Don't forget that there are two circuits, each with its own pump. Currently, I'm only running the HW circuit - so the rads are cold. But I

*did* run the CH and bled the rads (very little air came out) when I first became involved.

I omitted to say that there is a towel rail in the bathroom which is on the HW circuit, connected in parallel with the coil. *That* does collect air and needs frequent bleeding.

Reply to
Roger Mills

So just to be sure.... With the current setup, the heating is off and there fore the pump is off. When the hot water pump is off all is quiet and when the hot water pump is on you get all the noises?

You mentioned that the F&E tank is connected to the hot water circuit but a ssume it must also feed the heating one too? If not, do you have a separat e F&E tank for the heating circuit? Finally, are the 2 circuits isolated f rom each other e.g. via a motorised valve? Wondering whether the water circ uit could be pulling air from the heating circuit.

Reply to
leenowell

Correct

Correct

Yes, both circuits meet at the boiler.

There's only one motorised valve, and that came with the unvented cylinder, and is in the HW circuit. Prior to that - when there was a vented cylinder - there were no motorised valves at all. I can't see any obvious reason why just one pump running could cause circulation in the other circuit when its pump isn't running - BICBW!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills formulated on Sunday :

Any chance that though the valve actuator might have moved to the valve open position, that the valve might actually not have opened, or not opened fully?

Obviously there is some obstruction preventing or severally limiting the flow.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

All things are possible(!) but I don't think that's likely. I've taken the actuator off the valve a couple of times, and the valve moves quite easily, and the mating parts are fairly substantial - so I don't think the actuator can move far enough to operate its micro-switch *without* opening the valve. Of course, the innards could still be blocked by crud, I suppose.

I'm not totally convinced. True, there's no flow at low pump speeds - but I put that down to trapped air somewhere. There seems to be quite a lot of flow when the pump is given a bit more urge - but we then seem to be drawing air in. I'm assuming that the horrible noises are caused by air going through the boiler, allowing localised boiling to occur.

When airlocks occur in gravity (secondary) hot water systems, the cure sometimes seems to be to force mains water back up the pipe from a hot tap to the cylinder and header. Is there anything similar I can do with a vented primary system?

Please keep the suggestions coming. Hopefully they will lead to a Eureka moment, eventually!

Reply to
Roger Mills
[I'm purposely top posting to get to the meat of the issue quickly, whilst leaving the original post below for anyone who wants to refer back to it.]

I was round at my friend's today having another play with the system. [Remember, this is a vented primary system with a single F&E tank in the attic, and two separate pumps - one for HW and one for CH.]

I ran the HW and CH separately, and exactly the same thing happened in both cases, namely:

With the pump running at low speed, the boiler cycled on its own stat but the pipes didn't get hot. With the pump turned up, the pipes got hot and the system appeared to work ok for 20 minutes or so such that, in the case of the CH, the rads were getting reasonably hot.

But then, all of a sudden, all hell was let loose - with banging and crashing noises coming from the pipework. When I looked in the attic, the water in the F&E tank was very hot, the water level had risen sufficiently to reach the overflow, and enough steam to power Stephenson's Rocket was coming out of the vent pipe.

I no longer believe that air is being sucked in, but rather that the boiler is kettling and generating steam which increases the system volume and raises the F&E tank level. [The level soon goes down when everything is turned off].

The fact that the pumps need turning up more than usual to get any flow, and that the boiler is kettling, suggest to me that there is a partial blockage and perhaps scaling up in the boiler's heat exchanger.

Does that sound like a reasonable explanation? If so, what's the best way of curing it? I'm thinking along the lines of Sentinel X800 prior to a manual flush and re-fill with fresh inhibitor. Any comments?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Mmmm does sound a bit odd. It could be that I guess but generating all that steam through settling does sound a bit extreme. Wonder if the boiler is o ver heating the water somehow. I guess if there is a blockage maybe the wa ter is moving too slow across the heat exchanger?

Reply to
leenowell