Demolition hammer as tamper

Could anyone comment on their experience using a demo-hammer with tamping attachment. The 5" tamper base seems pretty small- is this mostly just to tamp around posts?

I have several small jobs coming up where I could use a power tamper. [a few different areas of 60-80 square feet each where I need to tamp down a stone base.]

I have rented a power tamper before for about $80/day. I see the tamper base & shaft goes for about $80-100. [This is for a Bosch

11305 Demo-hammer-- the one with the 3/4 hex bits]

If it is at all practical for what I want to do I'd rather buy that. It would take longer to do the job, but I could do a little bit at my leisure [which is my usual M-O anyway] and I'd have the tamper around for the next job.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thats insane to try and tamp a large area with a demo hammer. Bite the bullet and look around for a used plate compactor. It will save you back and time! The tamper on a demo hammer is used for small stuff and to tamp in places a compactor wont fit.

Reply to
Randd01