Hand tamper with some extra power instead of plate compactor

I have a very small area about 3' x 4' I want to add some layers of crushed granite and compact it to make a nice little patio area. In addition I might have some other similar sized areas I would like to do in the future. I want the granite to be fairly compacted but I do not want to rent or buy a plate compactor for this. However because I am a woman and don't have much power myself, I was hoping that maybe I could use some type of tamper that helps you out a bit instead of your traditional hand tamper in which all the power has to come from the person. I saw that Pave Tech has this tool called the Pounder which sounds like it could do the job.

anyone used this tool or knows about similar tools that could do this type of job?

Reply to
leopardy

x-posted to uk.d-i-y - this is a bit dead.

If someone suggests an angle grinder don't listen. They (we?) can be a bit odd at times...

TBH I don't think that gadget will be a lot easier than the traditional one, and it does weigh 20 kilos.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

So a Benjo Rammer is out too?

Personally I'd say don't shy away from hiring a plate vibrator, they're not difficult to control ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

But it's a Pounder!

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

The normal hand rammer as sold by Wickes etc is only about 4.5kg it its quite usable even if you are not that strong - you may just need to keep at it longer.

For a small area like that, a length of 4x2 about 20" long works well - stand on either end and use any weight on a stick (sledge hammer if you have one, or a spade etc) to hit the middle of it. Just keep moving the plank over after you have tamped the bit you are standing on.

Reply to
John Rumm

You totally lost me on this: For a small area like that, a length of 4x2 about 20" long works well - stand on either end and use any weight on a stick (sledge hammer if you have one, or a spade etc) to hit the middle of it.

Reply to
leopardy

The principle benefit seems to be that you can line the base plate up on the bit you wish to compact instead of lifting the whole thing up then aiming for somewhere near your toes in the hope you will hit the right bit.

The interesting bit to me was the optional drill and chisel bits.

They look remarkably like those from a Kango-type hammer.

Which in turn makes me wonder about an SDS+ flat plate bit which would certainly pound down small areas.

Missed opportunity?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to