unlocking an HTC smartphone

I want to unlock the SIM on an old HTC one SV from EE, which sill has a goo d battery from circa 2013, but not getting much sense on the web. I get tw o sets of web pages: (i) No problem. Do it for free with our unlock codes (ii) it's not possible to do it for free. Buy our codes for anything betw ween £5 - £20.
So Which set of pages is telling porkies. Why should anyone do it for free . Are the lot that charge just a rip-off.
Grateful for expertise, thanks
On 23/10/2017 08:23, therustyone wrote:

You can request a free unlock code on O2 so I would imagine you can do the same on EE unless its a prepay phone.
Try contacting their customer support and ask.

Free on contract when >6 months old, prepay is 8.99 even if you aren't a customer. You just call them up with the IMEI, take a payment over the phone and they give you an unlock code.
Generally 'unlocking guides' are useless: the feasible methods of unlocking varies by model, and lots of the guides say 'you can do it free or pay for a code' but then don't admit this is generic advice for every model - the free method only works for some models.
If you're after a free unlock, search XDA for the model number of your phone (not the name, the model number) which is the only place I'd trust for real info.
Given that it's 8.99 from the horse's mouth, it's not worth bothering with pay unlock services any more.
Theo
On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 10:56:20 AM UTC+1, Theo wrote:

g betwween £5 - £20.

r free. Are the lot that charge just a rip-off.

ng

r a

ree

one

al

Maybe it's not so easy from EE though I'm still on EE with a new phone. Th eir web page says it's free at first then says it's 8.99 further down. Fol k who go in person into the EE shop have paid this amount, the shop sends t he online form in, but then it's still locked after an unreasonable number of weeks. Other folk say the shops claim they can't do it anyway. So it sounds like the usual runaround. I would try the free method but it may brick the phone.

All I can say is that it worked for me: http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/unlocking-your-device 'non-EE customer', did it on the phone, unlock code sent by email. I didn't even need to put an EE SIM in it.
Theo
On 23/10/2017 11:25, therustyone wrote:

+1
And certain models of phone can be incredibly awkward requiring you to take them to some expert dodgy geezer in a backstreet somewhere. These are usually the sort that lock down on the first SIM they see from new.

You will always get the odd clueless muppet claiming that something doesn't work if enough people do it.
ISTR EE would have quite happily unlocked my mums phone for me but at the time £9 would have more than doubled its value! Instead I found an original Orange SIM in a Poundshop for £1 (on their recommendation).
Unless you are tech savvy (and asking here says that you are not) it isn't really worth chancing a dodgy unlock code from an unknown source. Some of the guys on market stalls do slightly cheaper unlocking than the official high street outlets. Depends if you trust them not to brick your phone in the process.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 23/10/2017 08:23, therustyone wrote:

Why does anyone write free software/Apps. Why do people reply with help on user support forums?
Often the people charging the fees will only direct you to the web page which requires no fee.
Are you trying to unlock the SIM or trying to unlock the phone so that you can use a SIM from any supplier?
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 11:12:49 AM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

good battery from circa 2013, but not getting much sense on the web. I ge t two sets of web pages:

betwween £5 - £20.

free.. Are the lot that charge just a rip-off.

I saw a rumour that freebie unlock sites might be harvesting the IMEI codes for use on stolen phones overseas.
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 00:23:13 -0700, therustyone wrote:

Are you trying to unlock the SIM (when you have forgotten your PIN) or are you trying to unlock the phone itself so you can use a SIM from another telecoms company in it?
The answer to each will be very different.
Yep, poor sentence. Unlock the phone I meant.
On 23/10/2017 21:24, therustyone wrote:

it does say unlock the phone in the subject. Maybe some don't read the subject?
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:24:28 -0700, therustyone wrote:

That's the easy bit. Ignore the on-line 'we can do it' folks and go straight to the network its locked to. That way you don't risk bricking the phone and it won't cost that much more than any other way.
On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 8:23:16 AM UTC+1, therustyone wrote:

ood battery from circa 2013, but not getting much sense on the web. I get two sets of web pages:

twween £5 - £20.

ee. Are the lot that charge just a rip-off.

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 8:23:16 AM UTC+1, therustyone wrote:

Surely if you need to unblock the SIM then it is irrelevant what phone it is in. You need the 'unblock code' for the SIM.
If it's the phone you want to use, rather than the SIM, then you can just put a new SIM into it, can you not?
Robert

Not if the phone is locked to a particular carrier and you want to use a different one.
The OP should have said phone, not SIM.
On 23/10/2017 16:42, Rod Speed wrote:

And if he is worried about rip off merchants just use the official unlock process
From http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/unlocking-your-device
Non EE Customer (Second-hand devices)
If you’re on EE and you've bought a second-hand device, you won’t be able to unlock the device using our online form.
If you're not with EE, Orange or T-Mobile, but have a device locked to EE, please call us on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4). We can unlock most devices for £8.99. It will take 10 days to unlock the device after the request has been submitted.
It might be worth £9 for peace of mind.
--
Chris B (News)

wrote

Wonder why it can take 10 days to turn the IEMI into an unlock code they send you.
All those hamsters or mice furiously running like mad on their treadmills I spose.