Bathroom smell

I have probably mentioned before that we have an en suite bathroom upstairs that sometimes smells - a toilet or sewage smell. Not overwhelming, and not all the time, but there. Never really been a priority as it is a spare room, very rarely used. However, we now need to use that room, so further investigation required.
I keep a wooden skewer in there, to check water levels in the shower and hand basin U bends. Always OK. Have tried keeping the plug in the basin, and putting tape over the basin overflow and shower drain. No difference. No marks on the ceiling below, but I lifted the floorboards looking for a tiny weep or similar, but nothing.
The toilet discharges horizontally, into a 90 degree bend that fits inside a pipe coming up through the floor. I can see some sort of rubber seal or doughnut perhaps half an inch down the pipe from the floor. Just by chance realised that the pipe from the toilet is not a tight fit in the rubber seal - I could move it about 1/8th of an inch backwards and forwards. Filled the gap with sealant and smoothed it with a wet finger and job done! That was a couple of weeks ago, and no smells since then. Result.
--
Graeme

<snip> >The toilet discharges horizontally, into a 90 degree bend that fits

Result indeed. ;-)
I have often seen such rubber seals where part of the 'lip' has be caught and pulled inwards or set very much off-centre or out_of_line, making it difficult for the seal to do it's job.
When the general builder set Mums new toilet up he did similar (not set it all true, left a lip-seal caught up etc) so we removed it all and did it again properly.
We put all the fittings on the pan spigot and cut the plastic pipe that was going into the old iron so it was just the right length. With the toilet screwed down, the cistern full of water and some weight on the lid to make sure the pan was sitting down fully, we then cemented the pipe in place. Once it was reasonably set, we took the pan / cistern off again and back filled the pipe joints with more cement to make sure it was all filled, smooth and flush. ;-)
Ok, it all took some time but I predict we would never have any issues with that leaking or anything getting caught up. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 11:27:14 AM UTC+1, T i m wrote:

We had a problem with a toilet that wouldn't clear the pan properly. Transpired this boot had split along the top which affected the syphonage. Because it was on the top ther was no leakage to give the game away. Strangely we never got a pong.
<snip> >>

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought it would make that must difference but it obviously does.

That's what I was thinking, eg, once it was over the trap part then the rest was downhill as they say. ;-)

I guess that could be a function of how efficiently the whole flush / drain away process works and the general airflow in the system at that point in general. Like on Mums it was the upstairs bathroom toilet and when into a tall soil stack that was vented over the gutter line. I would imagine the wind blowing in any direction to suck the air out of the top of the stack and so maintain a negative pressure in any fittings up to the trap?
Cheers, T i m
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 12:29:58 +0100, T i m wrote:

I wonder if the split was normally closed, but opened under suction.

bad multikwik behind the cludgy pan every time rubber rings not sealing......

what a bodge...for gods sake just fit a new multikwik ...they only cost a few quid ....

It'll do for now. I'll look further if/when smells escape again.
--
Graeme

wrote in message

good man ....