Freezer temperature Q.

Obviously hot weather has freezer running a bit more. After noticing that our built in kitchen freezer seemed to be almost permanently on, I decided to defrost it last night.

After wiping it out at 10 this morning, I switched it back on and by 11 it was down to -7, and now it's just reached -18.3 (according to an external thermometer with the probe in the centre).

It's still running ... at what temperature should it cut out ?

The dial is set to "1" from a possible "4" (and the super/fast freeze feature is off.

Reply to
NotReallyMyName

Recommended setting for a freezer is -18C IIRC

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I concur - though I set mine to -24 (and it *can* go to -36C! if you max it out)

Reply to
Tim Watts

If its a fridge as well, it may well be that part that is keeping it running. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

-18 is the usual. They vary a few degrees in practice

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Bought a new freezer (standalone, under the counter) recently; it has a temperature display/control on the front. I wanted to check the temps, as no point in having it over cold as I was aiming for -18. I have a thermometer with a small digital display and a long wire with a sensor on the end so I can put the sensor inside and the display outside and can check the temps without having to open the door all the time (counter-productive!).

I found that I had to set the display control on the front to -15 to get the temps (according to the probe thermometer) to be near -18 otherwise the freezer was setting itself far too cold and using far too much electricity...

Just my 2p's worth.

Reply to
Allan

Couldn't you have just bought one in a shop? There are are no restrictions on the sale of freezers that I'm aware of. :oD

Reply to
Huge

8<

What did you check the thermometer against? IME cheap digital thermometers can be a few degrees out.

I think you can check it by putting a load of ice in brine + some extra salt as the ice dilutes it as it melts, in equilibrium it should be around -20C.

Reply to
dennis

I think you have in mind that a saturated salt solution freezes at -21.1 degrees. It's a simple test to see if a freezer is well below -18.

You can get a solution that freezes at -18 degrees by weighing carefully the salt and water but I don't have the ratio to hand.

Reply to
Robin

Thanks for all the replies ...

It's just a freezer - not a fridge freezer.

I was testing it will a little digital thermometer used for checking aquarium temperatures.

Eventually, it got to -25, still running. But next morning, it was -19, and had stopped. It spent yesterday ping ponging between -9 when the door was opened, to -21. Currently at ... -20.

But yesterday the temperature in the house dropped a couple of degrees, which means it's able to lose heat slightly better ...

Main concern is that it;s at least 16 years old .... it was here when we moved in.

Reply to
NotReallyMyName

What do these ice-breaker fish look like?

If the freezer only has air in it, the temperature will change pretty rapidly when the door is open ..

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup. It sounds serviceable, most likely.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

-18C is warmest a 3-star Freezer is allowed to run. Usually, they are at least a little bit colder, baring in mind the temperature is unlikely to be completely uniform throughout.

I accidently left my Hotpoint on fast freeze for a few days when it was quite new. It went below -40C (how much below I don't know). The thermometer had sucked all the liquid back into the bulb, and the lowest marking on the scale before that was -40C.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

====snip====

That is the one temperature where the use of C or F is redundant. You could have simplified it to "-40" and let the reader choose their preferred scale. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I hate it when newspapers say "the mercury dropped to below -50". Mercury freezes before -40 ...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mercury hasn't been used in thermometers for *years* ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well, that too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Another mindless literalist. Get your carer to explain "metonymy" to you.

Reply to
Huge

That applies to new ones, but plenty of mercury ones still exist.

Reply to
charles

Another mindless poster who can't quote.

Reply to
Jethro_uk