Proportion of water to mortar and concrete mixes

The instructions with my concrete mixer recommend adding the water first to prevent the aggregate sticking to the sides of the drum. The trouble is I have ended up with some sloppy mixes particularly small mortar mixes and al though I have added more aggregate to get the mix right I have ended up wit h more mix than I needed. I have not been able to find any info on the prop ortions of water, I know it can vary due to how wet the sand is already but a ball park figure would help?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

On this subject ... What type of sand (if any) and ratio of cement (and what kind) would you typically use if casting / forming a garden planter?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A bit vague I accept.

See if this puts more detail in there:

I can see how that would be idea for something chunky you were going to cast but for the 'poured' process shown above, I'm thinking it would be too lumpy?

Didn't I read here possibly something about some types of cement having fibers in it to make it stronger when used with just fine sand or somesuch?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You read the instructions??? Good God man. What's wrong with you? ;-)

I would say Jim has it about right. Add some water, less than you need and add the rest later.

That's the way I have to do it.

Reply to
ARW

plastic fibres increase tensile strength greatly, which is what you need to stop breakage of planters. You can buy the fibres, or just stick a bit of synthetic carpet through a shredder.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So, if I understand it correctly 'cement' is really only the glue that binds the aggregate together so what would I use to do the round planter shown in the video?

So would that become the only binder in with straight cement or would that be with a (say) sharp sand? The slurry shown on the video looked too fluid to be sharp so could it be soft or even silver sand etc?

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Fibres are added to the usual sand/cement mix at somewhere around 1%

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That looks like they are using a dryish "building" or "soft" sand... The "concrete" looks like a fairly strong mix of cement and the same sand.

Yup you can add fibres - they give extra tensile strength which is handy for applications like that.

Reply to
John Rumm