Subject Author Posted Replies

Suggested temperature for spare room?
I have developed climate control for a friend's large shed, so they can store furnishings and tools without the furnishings starting to smell damp, or the tools going rusty. With some experimentation,...
20
20

Any domestic refrigeration engineers in the house?
Frost free are shit. Too much to go wrong. The older units with a simple thermostat ran until the compressor packed in or the insulation failed. The very cheap Zanussi standby freezer in the garage...
13
13

Shower pump flow delay
Any significant item that gets uninstalled after a day is surely a tale worth telling! Is there a short version of the story? :)
9
9

Lowering Cellar Floor
In message , GB writes Have you explored the cost of underpinning? I had some concrete pads put under the 9" brick sub wall of a timber barn. The initial idea was to support a steel frame to take the...
18
18

concealed door closer fitting
Not going to be "concealed", is it?
16
16

HP Procurve Switch AC Adaptor
I've just bought an HP Procurve Switch 1700-8 (J9079A) switch online (it's an 8 port network switch) without a power supply, under the mistaken impression (from the pix on ebay) that it uses a...
12
12

Sweetener dispenser ?
SWMBO and I try to keep sugar to the minimum, so tend to use sweeteners. Canderel being the one of choice. We used to just buy refills (cheaper). But of late the supplied dispensers have been getting...
16
16

Smart Meter Nonsense
Can anybody explain why EDF need to write a letter to me, at least once a year, to advise that they currently read my smart meter at 30 min intervals and that I can if I wish change to daily or...
56
56

OT(ish) - delivery from eBay of small electronic components
Shopping for the motor start/run capacitor for testing with failed extractor fan (see other post). There are loads on eBay, and almost all say they are held and shipped from the UK. However some of...
70
70

Gap between sill and PVC window
Is this a horizontal gap? When just filling (rather than bonding) I've used 'Decorators filler' because it can be wiped with a damp cloth. Me too, unless running a bead the entire length etc. Because...
13
13

Accents 8 sensor
For some reason when the alarm is OFF a single sensor still registers and it sounds like our front door is opening !! Any ideas... other than covering it with kitchen foil like I've currently done :)
2
2

OT - sudden stop of SPAM to BT Yahoo account
A little puzzling. I have a very old BT Internet mail address which has always received an enormous amount of SPAM over the years. A few days ago this suddenly stopped; that is, SPAM emails no longer...
9
9

Lamona Cooker Hood - HJA2500 aka LAM2502/3 - capacitor
Things have been progressing slowly due to the winter lurgi which seems to have hot everybody over the holidays. I now have the cooker hood main unit off the wall, but I haven't fully taken it apart...
18
18

How long can you keep scammers on the phone?
Record today was 49 minutes, though with a short break because the call dropped. They wanted me to use: eventvwr appwiz.cpl (and then wanted me to uninstall document scanner software!) Hopefully I...
51
51

Allen key to mount in drill
I'm looking for what is effectively an allen key that's been sawn off so it can be put into a drill chuck but I can't seem to find any online as I'm not sure what these are called, can anyone please...
6
6