BS docs again...

I notice that Manchester library no longer seem to have public access to the British Standards docs (unless you want to go there in person, which seems a bit excessive from here). Anyone know of another site / library that still has access?

Reply to
John Rumm

Boo ... maybe the "new subscription package" worked out more expensive for them?

BSOL has a list (but it still includes Manchester so is out of date) at least would be a starting point.

Andy Burns

Looks like Durham might, the catch is you have to collect your membership card from them ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah, Lancashire seems to be a possible:

It wants a library card number, but seemed content with my out of area one, so I am not sure how well it validates!

(same interface as previous - view on screen only (theoretically ;-) )

Reply to
John Rumm

It all depends on what the BSI charge. One can hardly blame them for making a charge for access, but what do they offer an individual, considering the way online works now it should be able to be done and just work without much effort, many would be willing to pay a tenner for a way to browse and print some out I'd have thought. Sure beats the old system of sending mountains of paper through the post!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The last time I went into a West Sussex library to look at the Gas Safety regs, it could only be done online at a specific terminal in the library and only 6 pages could be printed (excluding the library printing charge).

This was over 10 years ago.

Reply to
Andrew

Yup I am sure for a tenner many would. However they are fond of charging from £50 to hundreds and more for a single document if bought individually. A small organisation can join for a couple of hundred a year, but that only gives them a 50% discount on standards. The access libraries cough up for is typically several k per year.

Reply to
John Rumm

I wonder if this is something available "elsewhere", me hearties ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think most universities have access - just checked where I work and they seem to have over 70,000 of the 80,000 BSI documents listed available, with pdfs for most.

Reply to
RJH

Yes, I think I could get access as an alumnus, but the access via Lancashire instead of Manchester will do for now ...

Reply to
Andy Burns