Can you slow down the internet?

Is there a way of simulating slower speeds?
I know that many would like to speed it up but this is a serious question!
Our daughter is moving into a new flat. In her existing flat
she has Virgin Media internet and, of course, gets very high speeds.
But VM don't serve the block she's moving to, so she will be at the mercy of whatever she csan get over a BT line.
BT say 'up to' 60 Mbs.
Her problem is that VM's entry level has gone up over the years from 50 to 100 and now 200 Mbps and now she is faced with a range of different speed offerings, she hasn't a clue how much bandwidth she actually needs.
So I was wondering if there is something she can install on her PC that can be set to simulate a range of speeds.
My idea is that she could then set it to simulate the lowest speed of all the packages available and see what happens when she uses her PC normally. If she has any problems, she can reset it to the next higher level and so on.
Having discussed her usage with her I think she would be happy with quite a low speed but, having experienced apalling speeds where she works (because it is in the country and a long way from civilisation) she is concerned that she might either choose a package that dosn't suit her or opt for a more expensive package than she really needs.
--

Terry

No direct help, but I have to admit that broadband provision would be as important a factor in locating a house as off-street parking.
I wonder if anyone knows if it's affected house prices ?
I know there were a couple of people I used to work with who were unable to work from home (which was their role) as their (BT) broadband wasn't up to the "5Mb minimum" that the IT guys insisted on for the VPN.
(That said, I had a shit experience with the VPN at 80MB/s, so I think that was an excuse).

I havent seen any evidence that it does here and I have been paying close attention to the price houses sell for here.
It should, but no evidence that it does here.

Yeah, mate of mine does teaching online in china, from australia and they don’t let him do that with an inadequate broadband service.

Well all I can say is that a 3G mobile internet dongle cannot even reliably do good quality stereo radio.
In my view the used bandwidth at any one time should be built into routers as a measurement so you can look at logs and see the peeak over a certain time period. Brian
--
----- --
On 07/12/2018 17:56, Brian Gaff wrote:

I find that surprising as I get stable radio 3 even at 1Mbps. You do have to disable some router options on some models or the thing spends too much time doing housekeeping with "smart" peripherals.
Disabling UPNP made a world of difference to audio streaming stability. YMMV

Worst case Radio 3 needs 320kbps and a bit of buffering. Once I disabled the stupid time wasting features on the router internet radio and HD TV has been rock solid even on a 5M ADSL line. Sometimes at peak times it goes to buffering on video or crashes out on radio but very rarely.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 07/12/2018 20:44, Martin Brown wrote:

Yes. Wot he said. I monitor traffic on my router using snmp and its <10kbps on a 'quiet' time. Watching videos or listening to the radio takes it up to the >1Mbs or >100k bps makrs respectively.
Most of the low level access traffic is things like NTP servers, and polls of various servers that the widgets I have enabled do - things like querying weather stations, or of course updates to Linux itself...
Only time I have streaming issues is when I download big mail web or updates. I COULD fix that probably by tampering with QOS settigs but why bother?
My conclusions are that whilst 2Mbps is a bit sordid, 4Mbps and above is very much OK for a single user and unless you have a house full of antisocial streaming kids, 10Mbps is way more than enugh for most.
I would love to have hiogher top seeds - epecially uplad - but not at te price charged as its only occasionally I even notice it - uploading big files to my servers or downloading videos from yer Beeb Iplayer.
I often think that the problems are not so much the speed locally as the problems further down the line between other machines it has to pass through. I think the 3G dongle tends to have buffering and latency issues which makes the so called intelligent system flaky. This same rubbish happens with the old form of BT broadband over the phone lines as the speed varies and can drop out for a few seconds. Brian
--
----- --
On Saturday, 8 December 2018 09:17:00 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

3G dongles have highly variable latency. When the data rate is low they switch to a different 2G operating mode with much longer latency than when the data rate is high. The problem with video streaming is that a buffer load of data is downloaded, then the connection is idle before the next buffer load is needed. In that time interval the 3G modem switches mode so the latency is much longer again when the next buffer is needed. All this latency switching really messes up the smooth flow of video data as the receiving software gets confused about when to ask for the next buffer load of data.
However, 4G dongles are far better in this respect and have relatively constant latency. It is sometimes necessary to force them to stay in 4G mode and not switch to 3G. Setting 4G-only mode can often be done in the dongle's user interface.
John
On 07/12/2018 17:56, Brian Gaff wrote:

When I first signed up for broadband in 2006, it was about 1meg and I managed to work from home using a company laptop with Nortel VPN quite easily.
On 08/12/2018 16:46, Andrew wrote:

2006 might have well be last century in terms of domestic data usage though. Ten years ago when we moved here, and I had a pair of 2Mb/s connections it seemed almost adequate for business and pleasure. Now however the same rate is woeful. Just patching a out of the box new PC to current standards takes a couple of days, and that is before the kids want to watch youtube.
--
Cheers,

John.

What does she use it for? We are "out in the country" but get 35Mbps since we are on fibre-to-the-cabinet, with the cab being visible 400 yards down the road. I find that speed to be ample but HMMV.
Is what she is looking for an FTTC connection? It doesn't have to be with BT, anyway. I'd go with PlusNet or others.
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
On 07/12/2018 18:19, Tim Streater wrote:

Im bloody glad to get 5Mbps. Its more than enough.
Sure get-iplayer takes hours to download BBC videos, but hey, that happens in background.
--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

I too am happy with the 5Mbps I get from the BT line. I can stream TV from iPlayer without hiccups, but I don't have others in the house trying to use it at the same time.
The upload speed is only 1Mbps, but I can use the 30Mbps upload speed in my public library for sending videos.
--
Dave W

On 07/12/2018 21:01, Dave W wrote:

Never thought of that...nice one
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

I'm surprised you haven't blamed that on the EU or greenies. Or more likely on immigrants stealing your bandwidth?
Just trying to make the point that successive UK governments ignore the requirements of the country as regards basic infrastructure. And your wonderful free market certainly isn't going to help unless there is a buck or two to be made.
--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Trust you to bring up the case.

Its perhaps ironic that a consequence of the lack of infrastructure to match demand such as housing through immigration seems to be a consistent theme endorsed by remainers.

Oh the irony of it.
Does your local shop complain about having more custom due to immigrants, etc? Why then should any paid for service not expand to meet demand?
--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

No, they rejoice at the UK low wage economy and whinge at online shopping.

It takes time for houses, roads and schools to be built. Government rules also tend to frustrate development.
On 08/12/2018 14:27, Fredxx wrote:

Like that staggering welsh reg that all new builds must have sprinklers fitted.
I would guess that that will simply increase the fire damage. As well as cost.
Dont get me started on air sourced heat pumps either.