CTEK Chargers (ping Dave Plowman?)

ISTR Dave mentioning problems with the mode switch on CTEK chargers. Mine seems to be going intermittent. Is it a difficult fix, and are the parts a common generic switch?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Not sure about all the varieties, but the one I fixed had a fairly standard 'click' switch known as a tactile switch. There are different sizes, but I happened to have a spare.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you measure it up, the easiest source is probably Ebay for one. Or send me the dimensions - I've got quite a variety here. You might find one with too long a 'button' but these are plastic and easy to cut down to the right length.

I wanted some (different size) for a car remote control, and ended up buying a selection box from the far east. It has 6 different sizes - but I'd guess your C-tek uses a pretty common size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are these the Aldi ones? I've had many fail (including one where that switch didn't work from new, but unfortunately I didn't try using it for a few years). I did repair the switch, but the other failures have been catastrophic on the hot side of the SMPSU.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Cheers, I'll get it opened up tomorrow, it's currently (!) charging SWMBO's car.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

This is an actual CTEK one. The switch just seems intermittent and takes several presses to start up properly.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

C-tek is a posh brand costing several times that of the Lidl/Aldi 14 quid jobbies. But looks suspiciously like they come from the same factory.

I know of quite a few Lidl ones - and several have had switch failures. But not anything else. Did wonder if the switch is marginal for the loading, as it's unlikely to get worn out mechanically.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It looks pretty standard- 7mm square- but has a hole in the button that a plastic widget fits into to form the button surface.

Chris Bartram

widget. The switches seem to be pennies on ebay and Amazon.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The Lidl ones don't have a plastic button on the switch. Merely a flexible plastic cover over it which seems to be part of the case.

But you could drill a hole in the switch shaft to take it?

As you say they are cheap enough to wreck a few. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's almost mushroom-shaped, to spread the load over the flexible cover. I think even if I have to chop the pin off it, it'll work, maybe with a blob of silicone to hold it against the flexi cover.

Might be tricky, it's very small.

Indeed. Just need to take some measurements and get a close match.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Fixed :-). For the record, I got a 6mm x 6mm 4.7mm button height switch, an chopped the pin off the plastic spreader button. 15 mins and 4 solder joints, and it fits and works perfectly. Thanks Dave!

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Good. Even with the low cost Lidl ones, it's cost effective to do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)