Cordless power tools

I want to get a reciprocating saw. I'd really like it to be cordless, but I can only justify this (to myself!) if a set of batteries can be used for the next two or three power tools I replace.

Which reasonably decent make would people recommend with a battery system likely to remain useable for new purchases for at least a few years? My impression is that 18v Lithium ion batteries are a sort of standard which provides a reasonable approximation to the function of basic mains power tools - is this reasonable? I would like it to be versatile so the sort of chargers that work with several sizes of batteries, and the range of larger tools that work with two or three batteries seem to make sense, but I dare say there is a down side?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

We have a few Bosch 18v tools - the most recent is a reciprocating saw. Its main use is pruning in awkward places - it works well, but I've found that the standard blades don't work as well as those I got from a Canadian supplier - they are curved, like a proper manual pruning saw, with very sharp, aggressive teeth. The battery and charger work for my other garden tools, as well.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I was tempted by them. Have they tended to keep a design going for a reasonable time?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That's useful as destroying ivy on trees is one of my needs. How much have Bosch made their batteries interchangeable or stuck to the same range of tools?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

They have different ranges of tools - the ones I have are the green Power-4-All series. The one which gets the most use is the hedge trimmer, I also have a strimmer, which is fairly light-duty, but works well for little awkward bits where getting out the big petrol one is too much effort. I'm sure there's at least one other tool, but I'm away at the moment and can't go check. Amazon sometimes has good prices for them. They have been worth every penny - my upper arms are grateful for the help, and I can get much more work done in a day than with my old manual stuff.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I have a load of the Power-4-All stuff and it seems fine.

I have the drill/driver, jigsaw, circular saw and a garden trimmer (although I got beefier, higher capacity batteries for that). Also the radio!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Do you have a particular reason to want cordless?

I can see the advantage if you need to use it where you don't have access to 240V or, in the case of say a drill, the weight advantage is worth it. However, the long term hassle of batteries, forgetting to charge them, limited run time,...... in my view are just too much to be bothered with- at least for what I do.

Of course, if you do work where there is no 240V- or not enough to run tools........

For smaller tools, where the drag of the cable is more significant compared to their weight, or you need to get into small spaces, then the game changes. But the lack of cable on, say, a sabre saw, would make little difference and it isn't something you use in a small space.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Thanks. It'll be just my luck if they bring out a new range next week! Life's too short for furher research so I went for this one:

Roger Hayter

Brief googling hasn't found the convex blades, if you happen to have a link handy I'd be grateful. Sounds just the thing for ivy trunks.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I tried to find a UK source for them, but was unsuccessful, so ordered them when in the US. They don't weigh much nor take up much space in my bag. I bought three of them.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Nice. Way over my budget, though!

Reply to
S Viemeister

Most of that cost is for the batteries charger and carry case.

Reply to
ARW

No. Battery tools are underpowered always. The design always compromises power so they can claim longer battery life. Just compare wattages. I had a big Bosch battery recip saw and when I tried a mains one the difference was so great I went out and bought one. Buy a generator.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Additionally, you can buy some cordless tools "bare" ie, no battery and use just one battery for everything.

Reply to
harry

Just looked at the Makita website. They don't give the wattage. I bet it's 300 - 400W. You need 700W for a recep saw.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Trendy, and people don't know how good a proper mains tool can be. And mains tools are so much cheaper.

Use the money you save by not buying battery tools and get a genny.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Indeed, why it makes lots of sense these days to buy into a (18V) battery system, and then get tools to match as required.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ok, thanks. At least I know what I'm looking for.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Hence me wanting to convince myself they could be used for other tools.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

If its any consolation, its the same approach I used recently. My original set of Makita 18V tools were getting close to needing another set of batteries (typically £150-£200 for three), and the prices on the old NiMh range are now quite high, not to mention the availability of tools in that format much reduced.

So I bit the bullet and went LiIon. Bought one full kit like yours (in my case combi drill + impact driver kit), a couple of extra bats on special offer, and then the individual tools I needed.

(I also found you can get some adaptors to make the new bats fit the old tools, so I can still use those when needed)

Reply to
John Rumm