Cordless reciprocating saw

Hi, Some projects for the summer calls for a reciprocating saw to make things easier. I have a Dewalt 18V cordless drill with two batteries. So I was wondering whether I buy a cordless saw or electric one like Milwaukee Sawzall? Opinions from experienced users please? Will cordless be upto the various chores? TIA, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ah, what do you want to use it for? Kinda makes a difference.

Reply to
toller

Hi, Fencing, decking, retaining wall work kinda thing, some pruning maybe out at cabin. I have AC power available out there. I just feel cordless might not be powerful enough but then I never used this type of saw before. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have one and love it. It comes in very handy. However if I have a serious job with a lot of cutting to do, I would not rely on it, even with three or four batteries as even my 24V job eats batteries.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Corded is more powerful, never runs out of juice (assuming the juice is available).

Cordless does not need long cords to use outdoors. Has limited life as batteries must be charged. Good for light and intermittent work.

Decision has to be based on your particular needs and uses. They cordless are very handy though. On a small job you can be done cutting in less time that getting out an extension cord and then re-winding it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A reciprocating saw is hardly ideal for pruning. I use a hand saw or (drum roll please) my Ryobi cordless chain saw. I once used it to make 10 cuts on some 4" trees on one battery. If I had had my gas saw out at the cottage it would have been a better choice, but the Ryobi worked. I don't think a cordless reciprocating would have. Worst thing about the Ryobi is that the oil leaks and make a mess between uses.

It will work on your other projects, but will make a couple cuts on 4x4s per battery. Corded is a better choice for serious cutting.

Reply to
toller

I've got a set of DeWalt 18v tools... They are quite handy but the batteries are EXPENSIVE!

At this point, if I wanted cordless tools, I'd just go cheap.

You're in Calgary? Go to XSCargo and pick up the 18v tools they have there and grab a spare batter or two.

Reply to
Noozer

Reply to
Art Todesco

Whatever works for you...

1" is easiest to do with a hand saw.
Reply to
toller

1" is a piece of cake with a good lopper, I've lopped larger.
Reply to
Nick Hull

Harbor Freight has a chinese made Sawzall (corded) that goes on sale for $19.99 now and again. Might want to go with that, and decide about upgrades, later.

I got my 14.4 Miluakee, cause it was the lowest voltage that would do sawzall. but I never decided to go th e extra 200 and get the sawzall -- the couple times a year I just get out the corded on.

When I got some cordless drills from HF, I got the 12.0 volt ones, so I could run them off a lighter socket cord when the batteries finally died.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon