reciprocating saw (Aldi/Powercraft)

Hello,

I asked about reciprocating saws a couple of months ago. I think the Medway Handyman recommended either the Aldi or Titan models as budget models. As it happens, I found the "Aldi" one in Machine mart. It is only in their stores; not in their catalogue nor on their web site and I think they only have a limited number so it might be worth phoning the store to check before you go. It was £28. I thought I would buy one and give it a try.

TMH suggested getting a saw with an allen key, so that the blade did not become loose. This one does not have an allen key; it has something that resembles the chuck on a drill: you twist and hold the "chuck" whilst inserting the blade and then release the "chuck" and the blade is held securely.

I have used it with the sabre blade from Toolstation to cut the tongue from some floorboards I was lifting. I have also used it to prune a few trees in the garden.

From my limited experience so far I am very pleased with it. My only concern is that when you release the button the blade does not stop immediately but continues to oscillate for a few seconds, so you have to be careful of the blade until it stops completely. Are all saws like that or just the cheap ones?

Thanks to TMH and others who encouraged me to buy one.

Reply to
Stephen

Pretty much like many drills, after releasing the triggers there is still residual energy to keep it spinning for a short time.

Reply to
Nitromax®

Stephen formulated on Tuesday :

I bought from Aldi about 8 months ago, think I paid around £20 for it after they had reduced it. It has had a reasonable amount of use since then and I can't fault it. The chuck is as you describe and I've had no bother with blades coming loose, ever.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield