Reciprocating Saw

Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better than another??

Thanks.

Reply to
davex1001

I bought one from Harbor Freight for $19.99. The amount I have used it already has paid for itself. If you are not a professional it should work fine for you too.

badgolferman

The harbor freight ones are disposable. If you want one you can will to the grandkids get a Milwaukee Super Sawzall, nothing compares.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

I have to agree. Sometimes buying a tool on the cheap is penny wise and pound foolish. If you want a saw that's going to last, I'd second the Milwaukee suggestion. Sawzall is synonymous with reciprocating saws for a reason. Good luck with your purchase.

Reply to
Mark Cato

As you can tell from the responses, what is best depends on your planed use and needs. If it is going to be used professionally, then go for the Milwaukee Super Sawzall. Likewise if you need reliability and quality. If you need it for a rare non-demanding job, then you don't need that, the cheap Harbor Freight job may be fine.

I have a DeWalt cordless model. It has meet my needs, but I don't have demanding or a lot of needs.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

First of all, congratulations for using the proper terminology. Very few people seem to know what a recip saw is.

If you want the best, you still can't beat the original Milwaukee brand, Sawzall. For occasional use, I've used Porter Cable and Craftsman and they performed well. I've not price them lately, but for a ten or a twenty, go with Sawzall. If you are using it for one small job and the price is $100 less, I'd go with what was on sale.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
davex1001

Sawzall (tm), demo saw, probably others.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I saw a Ryobi electric reciprocating saw at Home Depot a few months ago for $59.00. For part time use by a homeowner it is not a bad way to go.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Its properly called a reciprocating saw

People generically call it a sawzall.

I have heard it incorrectly called jigsaw saber saw saw

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

I had two Milwaukee's that I never did like, but Milwaukee is the best, right?. Got a Dewalt a while back and love it. Not sure what the difference is, the Dewalt just seems to "feel" better.

Reply to
Dan K

Milwaukee is probably the best though any of the popular premium brand names are very good. Right now Toolking has a Dewalt 10.5 amp reconditioned reciprocating saw on sale for $59 as shown in the link below. That is a great deal on a powerful well built reciprocating saw. Reconditioned power tools are usually the ones that the purchaser returns in like new condition during the 30 day or so trial period and have a warranty - usually the same warranty as new. They go back to the factory to be checked over, repaired if necessary, and then sold as reconditioned. I have four reconditioned tools that all look and work like new [two Bosch, one Makita, and one Milwaukee].

Reply to
Steven L Umbach

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

That's what I did, and so far I have been happy with it. The one thing I will say is don't buy the blade pack. Go somewhere else and buy good quality blades.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill Gill

LOL....But to be honest its true... My Milwaukee swwsal was a hand me down from my father ...and I am 62 years old... the odds of it ending up in my sons shop are honestly pretty good...

Bob G. BTW I purchased a Roybi 18 V battery powered one to use and keep at the "farm" ...did not last one summer...wasted money...

Reply to
Bob G.

This is my second post in the thread... and while I own a Milwaukee your point is extremely important... how a tool "feels" in you hand and how well it balances in you hand is very very important... My cordless drills are for the most part purchased my "feel" ....

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

So what features do I look for??

Reply to
David DeBoer

I don't think I need a Sawzall, just a Sawsabit.

Reply to
mm