OT: millennial retailing

I visited a well known department store yesterday (never knowingly undersold) to look at kettles. I found the one we wanted and went to the till. 'Out of stock', she said, 'You can order it on line or we could do it for you'. 'Can you just order it then?', I asked. 'No', she said, 'We are not allowed to when we are on tills. I could get a colleague to assist.'

'It sounds llike I would be better ordering it myself', I said 'I want it delivered to the shop'. 'You would be better getting it delivered to your house', she said, 'and if you are not in they will leave you a card to allow you to rearrange'.

'If I get it delivered to the shop, will I have to pay a delivery charge?', I asked. 'Yes', she said, 'we can't give away stuff for nothing'. 'Okay then', I said, 'What if I don't order it online and instead request to buy it at the till?. 'You will still have to pay the delivery charge', came the response.

Legal question - are they allowed to display an item that is not in stock and cannot be supplied at the stated price?

Practical answer - she got the figure wrong and there was no charge for Click and Collect at that value.

Reply to
Scott

Another reason for the decline in high st sales is simply the staff. Either a shop goes self service like a supermarket, adopts the Argos approach or they have to pay for staff to provide knowledge and initiative.

Most retail outlets seem able to check the stock position at other branches, although quite often the person asked will say that it isn't possible.

Cant be bothered, or too thick to interrogate the terminal would be a more accurate response.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Funny this. I went to Boots to look at a shaver. i looked at it, and asked about price, the guy said it says here it is double the price it should be so I'd best not sell it to you since this looks like a mistake. So I said would the manager be able to sell it to me at the price you say it should be at in the catalogue? No because the price is on the computer and we have to make a complaint to get that changed. So he got out his tablet, and after some fiddling about said. Ah look, John Lewis across the road have it at less than we would sell it, why not go over there. Amazing, erm not sure Boots HQ would think so. However read on...

Go to John Lewis, they have one on a chain but are out of stock. Its not one we normally keep you can order it online they say, If I wanted to order it on line why would I be in the shop? Ah, I see your point, but we cannot get it here as this shop does not keep stocks anyway. So, I said what is the point of having it in your list as in stock then? Ah its in stock at our warehouse, most people will have it delivered anyway, where the they order it here or on the internet. Anyway, since I was obviously talking to a moronic company, and I had at least seen one in the flesh, I decided to go home. Guess what Same shaver special offer on Amazon 10 quid cheaper. So what do you think I did? Of course I did. No wonder the high street is dying. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's not unusual, though. Even a decent electrical place like TLC doesn't have everything in their catalogue in stock at every branch. But I would expect them to get it in for you so you could collect it later, if you don't want to mail order.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

more likely company policy, management trying to cut costs wherever they can & not thinking things through well. I seldom encounter staff that are genuinely bolshy - if they're that way with me they will be with others and end up dismissed. I did however meet one that said 'you're going to hell' lol.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Xmas bonus roolz....