Quality recommendation please

Could anyone comment on which of these is likely to be the better quality? The first is more expensive but seems to have aluminium contacts. The second seems very cheap but has brass contacts. Thanks for any insights.

Leads Direct:

Scott

I doubt what you think are aluminium contacts are actually aluminium since aluminium oxidises as soon as you look at it and the maleability of aluminium makes it a poor metal where springiness is required. More likely the contacts are chromed steel.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Aluminium? I doubt it ...

The first one seems less prone to accidental switching on/off.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Probably correct, on reflection. The point remains though. From school I recall that copper is the best conductor and steel is not as good. Is this a factor to be considered?

Reply to
Scott

For contacts steel, copper and iron oxides are relatively poor conductors. Which is why silver and gold are used.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No mains lead uses aluminium contacts. Ditto steel.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In the picture you linked to, it is just possible to make out the plated side earth contact on the plug.

The fact that you want one of these suggests that you already have a number of devices fitted with Schuko plugs - take a look at them and see what the earth contacts look like.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Best contacts are usually copper, plated with something to stop them corroding. But mains sockets don't usually need this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've seen a mains extension lead with gold plated contacts? You are actually Russ Andrews in drag. Which explains a great deal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good point. I had overlooked that. They are the same chromed steel construction.

Maybe it comes down to build quality. Is Brennenstuhl sufficiently prestigious to win the day? The CPC site says it is made in Germany but Brennenstuhl themselves say China. Most equipment is made in China so that cannot be a game changer. I'm inclined towards the Brennenstuhl just for the name, but concerned that it is quite cheap.

Reply to
Scott

chromed steel is also not used for mains plug pins.

the clueless consumer.

Reply to
tabbypurr