How many cubic metres of concrete?

We had four 60x60x6cm holes to fill in to support the new charging posts at a HART ambulance station.

Now I expected to be asked if I still had my cement mixer and told to call in at Jewsons get the bits I needed to fill the holes. A 6 to 1 mix should do it.

Instead office boy orders 3 cubic meters of concrete to be delivered to site.

I call at Jewsons and get 200 rubble sacks for the Russian labourer to fill with unused concrete that was dumped in the car park.

Reply to
ARW

LOL!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

What was wrong with a dry mix?

Reply to
Fredxx

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have been overkill ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

A five-fold overkill.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I made it about 15% too much

Reply to
Andy Burns

You forgot there were 3 holes?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

no, there were in fact four holes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

6 bags ballast 1 bag cement.
Reply to
ARW

What's wrong with a cement mixer and a hose pipe?

Reply to
ARW

1m^3 would have been OK.

A bit of excess to take away and job done.

Reply to
ARW

A 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.6m gives a volume of 0.216m^3

4 holes => 0.86m^3

A 1m^3 load would be more than sufficient.

Reply to
Fredxx

I have to admit the extra effort and time of mixing would be small in comparison to the hole digging. Plus only the amount needed used and the unused bags could be returned.

Reply to
Fredxx

Except it is 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.06m...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ok, I guess the 3m^3 concrete consisted of both ballast and cement.

I wasn't sure if the office boy had ordered 3m^3 of just cement.

I probably wouldn't make a good office boy either. ;o)

Reply to
Paul Welsh

0.06m doesn't sound much good for sticking posts in.
Reply to
Paul Welsh

Well thats what the OP said. Who am I to argue?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did you know that apparently concrete is very expensive in carbon footprint terms? No idea why but it popped up on a science program the other day. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's the manufacture of the cement that is the problem because of the heat used.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky