Side Cutters recommendation please

I have some electrical side cutters but they're damaged at the end, got a lot of wiring to do so this time wont buy the cheapest, on ebay they range from £2 to £25, advice please... https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313 .TR0.TRC0.H0.Xside+cutters.TRS0&_nkw=side+cutters&_sacat=0
George Miles wrote:

I have some Piergiacomi side cutters, strippers and flat nosed pliers for my 'best' tools, reasonable price without going to Lindstrom or Knipex extremes (I notice the brand seems to have Chinese copies now).
<http://www.piergiacomi.com/piergiacomi/en/products/hand-tools/204-taglio-raso.html
The ones I have are are suitable for up to 2.5mm cables, much nicer than the Lidaldi specials or random 40 y/o tools, which can now be abused for SWA and medium sized bolts.

The Lidl set - side cutters, pliers and wire stripper with the red and yellow handles, are actually pretty good. Got a set to put in the car toolkit - so likely to get abused. But have stood up very well. Cutting things like split pins and so on. So should have a decent life when used for copper only.
--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman wrote:

Yep made to look kinda-VDE rated, when they're not

The pliers and needle(ish) nosed are actually OK, I found the cutters closed with a bit of a gap and the strippers fairly wonky when closed down for small wires.

I don't remember what I've used mine on, but the cutters are pretty mashed up

On 13/02/2018 11:54, George Miles wrote:

Reasonably decent VDE rated set of cutters are usually in the £20+ range. However some of the CPC duratool branded hand tools are surprisingly decent for the money:
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00636/side-cutter-diagonal-160mm-vde/dp/TL12024
--
Cheers,

John.

I like my KWB ones although I cannot for the life of me remember where they came from or what they cost.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 44th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 13/02/2018 11:54, George Miles wrote:

Knipex.
I have the 74 08 200 ones but some people find them too heavy duty for smaller cables eg alarm cable.
Buggered if I can find them on the Knipex site all I an find are the 74 06 200 which are chrome plated.
--
Adam

ordered the cpc ones thanks
On 13/02/2018 22:16, George Miles wrote:

Hope you enjoy them. I cannot find them on CPC.
--
Adam

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 21:11:17 +0000, ARW wrote:

_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xside +cutters.TRS0&_nkw=side+cutters&_sacat=0

I can attest to the quality of the Knipex 74-160 that I was 'gifted' by my boss when I took "The Golden Handshake" from BT back in '92 since they somehow miraculously survived my son's usage of them to cut bicycle spokes (and other, similarly tough items no wire cutters should ever have to face).
Since they were my favourite weapon of choice for trimming my finger and toe nails, I hid them away and lied to my son that I had lost them. The ruse worked. I still keep them hidden away to this day and they still look as good as the day they were issued in spite of all the abuse meted out by my son.
--
Johnny B Good

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 03:54:42 -0800 (PST)

13.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xside+cutters.TRS0&_nkw=side+cutters&_sacat=0
<late to the party>
I've got these:
https://www.thetoolbox.uk.com/NWS-2-in-1-Vde-Side-Cutters
I use them most days and they're lasting well. The hole for cutting 3.5mm screws is very handy.
Steve wrote:

I'd never heard of Solingen until last week, now it seems to be on my radar for everything that German that has blades ...
On 14/02/2018 17:31, Andy Burns wrote:

IIRC saying Solingen is about like saying Sheffield. It's a town, not a manufacturer.
That said I have a Solingen kitchen knife ~40 years old that's still fine.
An
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 21:57:16 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

My mother's dress-making shears are Solingen <hide_your_eyes> and I used them to cut carpet </> . They didn't suffer at all and still work perfectly. I love the 'scissor' sound that they make.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

I'd say there is less different between expensive and cheaper tools today than 40 years ago.
--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*