speaker wire to RCA phono connector-- can this be used for power purposes too?

I see these all over Ebay:

They might be perfect for a project I have, except I want to use them to transfer power of around 12 VDC @ 1 amp between components. Will these connectors work for that, or is there truly a "balun" that's maybe a coil of wire that would burn up when used for a power purpose?

Thank you, John

Reply to
John Abnarthy

At 1st I though, why not. But the word Balun generally implies some kind of transformer. I'm pretty sure, from looking at the price, there are no transformers, just straight through connections. If that's the case, yes. Speakers can carry much more power, though usually not continuous, than what you are proposing. These type of units are also made with the typical wall wart connectors for power application.

Reply to
Art Todesco

That's my main concern as just about any current through the transformer like from constant DC would probably burn it out. I was just hoping someone here might have actually had one of these in hand to check before I place an order.

John

Reply to
John Abnarthy

It has a balun, it's not just a connector, the balun is there to match the impedance and I would suspect it's not intended to carry DC at 1 amp.

Reply to
trader_4

My bet, no balun. It just connects to the typical balun like the rest of the RCA connector uses listed. I have a bunch of these in the 5mm coaxial power configuration on a 12v wall wart. (M and F)

Reply to
gfretwell

They WILL work, but be sure to CLEARLY label them so they don't get mistaken for audio cables!!!!

Reply to
clare

Have NEVER sean an RCA speaker cable with any Balun or active component

Reply to
clare

If this was actually a balun, there would be no continuity between the in and out (DC) and they would specify the impedance on each side in the ad.

Reply to
gfretwell

Correct. I am sure 1 amp will be no problem at all.

Reply to
philo

I've used these:

And, for sure, they are meant for power.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Yup those are the ones I use too. Just be sure it is the right size. There are lots of choices. Even the 5mm comes with 2 inner contact sizes.

Reply to
gfretwell