How to help old folk get connected to the Internet?

I help to run a club. Over 90% of members now communicate by email, book events online, etc. But I'd like to help those who don't. Most of them, I think, are well over 70 and have no computer background. Given the emphasis on online communications during this pandemic they are losing contact with the world more and more, so it would be nice to be able to suggest an easy way for them to get connected up like the rest of us. Some are actually frightened of the Internet - they see too many stories of bank scams etc. not realising that most start out via phone calls. But quite a few, I think, would get connected if only they knew how.

The traditional route is to ask your phone company to add broadband of some sort (ADSL or FTTC), install the router they send you which may need a new wall-plate or phone filters, then buy a laptop and connect it to the router by wifi, and then sign up to an email service. But there are a lot of choices in doing that, and needs more than a little technical knowledge.

It occurs to me that maybe the better and simpler route would be to suggest that they buy a tablet computer of some sort and then connect up via the cellphone network. But they still have to decide which tablet, and then choose a SIM company and whether to use a contract or pay-as-you go, and set it all up, plus choosing an email provider. I can see all this is fairly daunting to anyone who has not done it before.

Does anyone know of any guides or tutorials that would help here? I've trawled through a few web pages but can't find anything that is useful, impartial, and appropriate for the UK.

Reply to
Clive Page

you can get a usb dongle that contains a cellphone dedicated to data only which takes a SIM

Or a wifi enabled router that takes a SIM as well.

Or you can use a really cheap smart phone to do the same.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

we had a Parish Councillor, younger than me, who could only access the internet via her phone. Totally useless, she couldn't read any attachments, let alone 3 or 3 page documents. All documents had to be printed out for her.

A couple of years ago, I raised the subject at the AGM of a large national charity saying they were disenfranchising a significant portion of their membership by putting so much on the internet and cutting down on the paper magazine., "We're a conservation charity - we must save paper" was the reply.

Possibly a charity like 'Age UK' might be able to help.

Reply to
charles

I'd suggest slimming the tablet choice down to 'buy an iPad'. It'll be less complicated than an Android or Windows device. Not so cheap, although refurb options are cheaper.

If you have a modern iPad many have eSIMs that mean you don't need the physical SIM card, you just pick a network from the screen:

Apple Stores also provide physical SIMs that work on the same basis.

As well as Truphone, EE and O2 have eSIM tariffs although they need physical packs with QR codes and stuff.

In traditional-SIM land, Three Data Reward gives free 200MB per month:

which might be enough for some users. After that data is 1p/MB. That might be enough of a starting point to then discover they use lots of data and need to upgrade to a monthly plan.

Email provider - I think you get offered an iCloud email address as part of the iOS signup process. I don't know anything about it, but it's probably good enough for someone without specific needs, and presumably the mail client gets preconfigured.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

[...]

The very people who might find a tablet the best approach. But if you add " affordable" that usually means Android which seems to be more difficult to maintain and use than Apple IOS. Also, there can be severe annoyance when t hey find that updates and maintenance only apply for a couple of years.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

here?

The biggest problem is that there are just too many variables to handle in a simple, easy to understand, guide.

To start with what methods of 'net access is available at the location where service is required? I varies over very short distances, We have 5-6 Mbps ADSL2+ and 4G (but only from one of the four networks). Next property down the hill no 4G and worse ADSL, next one still no 4G but does have FTCC...

None of this might apply in a town, with blanket 4G from all four mobile networks, FTTC from a cabinet almost on every street corner (or even FTTP), cable TV provider?

Then need to find an mobile operator that uses a network that offers at least 3G at the location required on a tarrif that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I don't rate the experience of using as smartphone for your only net access very highly. It works and is just about useable but it's not a pleasant experience. Small screen, tiny touch keyboard, not exactly "elderly friendly". Failing eyesight, arthritus giving poor fine motor control, tremor and touch screens don't mix well or trying to hold something close enough to read.

These days the device probably needs to be a laptop. Tablets suffer the same as a phone but not quite as badly for the larger (10") models. A desktop system would probably need a webcam and microphone added, maybe even WiFI to avoid having to run an ethernet cable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not everyone gets a decent mobile phone signal indoors. I don't, but a foot outside the front door, I can just get a signal of a sort. I can alos get one by leaning out of an upstaires window. Neither would be a good way of convincing someone to "use the internet".

Reply to
charles

Maybe they could be encouraged to learn to use the computers at a public library. Once they have done this they might then want to have a computer and an Internet connection at home. You could then discuss with them what they might do. There is also things like Netflix which use a TV's Internet connection.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Someone willing to help out could probably solve that one with a 'survey'. For example, a small box (raspberry pi?) with an internal 4G dongle.

Give it/post it to the user, say 'plug this in where you would use your tablet'. Wait until the green light comes on, then unplug and send it back. The device makes a note of the available networks, their signal strength and a timestamp. Maybe it sends that via 4G when plugged in, maybe you just wait to receive it in the post. Then you pick a SIM card from an appropriate network and issue it to the user.

There's two issues with laptops. One is trackpads - it needs people to know that they move the pointer to screen by moving their fingers on the trackpad. This might be an unfamiliar skill and tricky to grasp for some, whereas touching things with your fingers is natural.

The other is Windows, which is not beginner friendly. Possibly ChromeOS might fix that one, and there are Chromebooks with LTE. Some have touch screens which avoids the trackpad issue. I don't know how ChromeOS is for beginners, I haven't used it. It might be more hungry on the data connection though.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

SWMBO bought an "all in one" dektop pc earlier in the year. Camera and micreophone are incorporated into the monitor surround.

Reply to
charles

nothing to stop anyone adding a USB mouse/trackball.

Reply to
charles

Agreed. Mum (90) still mainly communicates with us both on her iPad (Whatsapp) and her Portal.

Mum went though this fairly recently but was willing (and able) to buy a new iPad.

I guess these (other) people don't have any friends or family willing to help them? ;-(

My only reservation with any of the info given so far is that you may need to ensure that there is some sort of a cap put on the data usage. Many don't know what uses a lot or not and so can ramp up the costs without realising it.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

There are, but sadly they do not offer the hand holding required. Before Covid, many libraries ran silver surfers tutorials, but that has stopped, and in any case its often the case that the old eyes are not good either, and so one needs something almost tonka toy like to start with. These devices do exist. Synapptics do one you connect to your telly, as do Dolphin Computer Access with a limited number of functions you can often command them by voice or if your sight is poor use their built in voices. Cost you around 650 quid in the main, from what I can see. Cheaper than an apple phone but more than many want to pay.

I guess a good introduction might well be the larger Amazon tablet. Many have had good results with it, but you do need a bluetooth keyboard as no matter what people say, typing on a virtual keyboard when you are older is an exercise in frustration.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Some of these may help (but you may need to print them out in the first instance for your intended audience

Chris B

I'd definitely go with an isp and wifi in the home. No data caps etc and reliable as long as you are not stupid with placement. First get them onto an isp say with an amazon Echo dot. Show them all the great stuff it can do, then is the time to introduce the computer. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

We live in a city, and pre Covid ours was only open 1 hour a week.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Again that needs hand/eye coordination - may be an unfamiliar skill to someone who has never used a mouse before.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Do these septuagenarians have poor eyesight and arthritic fingers?

if they do, whilst superficially the tablet solution looks good, it is a long term recipe for even more problems

Reply to
tim...

I personally don't think that somebody who has never used a computer before, is going to upgrade to using it for video communication any time soon

All computers come with wiffy connections nowadays

Reply to
tim...

That's why I suggested a 'survey' box, if there was someone to process the results. That would work better than buying a random SIM and hoping it works. (Maybe the box would have a light or something to say 'try somewhere else')

A Mi-Fi box placed on top of the wardrobe (or whereever) would be another way to deal with awkward signal, although it would need pairing with the tablet.

Theo

Reply to
Theo