RTFM

Dishwasher (cheap Miele) was making horrible noises from the drain pump area. Removing the filter I thought I could feel an olive pit in the pump inlet...but couldn?t see how to get it out..

In desperation I RTFMed. Oh. The cover to the pump is removable by squeezing a catch and yanking it off,.

Getting it back on took longer than removing the pit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What is a pit ?

Reply to
jon

In this context the small very hard seed found inside some fruits, like olives or cherries.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's what posh people like Turnip who like to mention they own dishwashers and eat olives, call the stone.

michael adams

I have less income now than the minimum wage by a huge margin. So I use my time to save money. I cook, do DIY, sew, mend, repair and in general live the way my postwar parents taught me, and their Depression era parents taught them. On a shoestring."

The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
michael adams

Its a spellchecked Pipp. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Are you unfamiliar with the terms pitted or unpitted when referring to olives?

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , michael adams writes

Oh come on. Not just Waitrose sell Pitted Prunes, Pitted Cherries, Pitted Olives etc.

Reply to
bert

Turnip's olives were *unpitted*, obviously.

Otherwise he wouldn't have had to remove the pit that got stuck in his dishwasher, would he ? Do try and keep up !

As it happens I just happened to be reading about Cyril Connolly. And one of many of his less endearing habits, was of reading while eating and leaving olive pits and sardine bones (sic) inside the pages of the (often other people's) books he was reading.

michael adams

michael adams

I was thinking that there must be an awful lot of posh people around.

Reply to
GB

Mr Adams is just a wannabee snob - he can't even get the business of being a snob right.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You mean because large numbers of people have dishwashers?

Reply to
Tim Streater

It is an Americanism that has crept in over the last few decades. We (English people) used to call it a pip or a stone depending on how big/hard it was.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I even had to look up RTFM

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

my mother used the term and she died over 50 years ago.

Reply to
charles

a lot of people have a pit on each shoulder today...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Before Elizabeth David came along, the only people who ate olives in the UK were Italian and Spanish immigrants and people who'd travelled in Europe. Olives have always grown well in poor well drained soils and were a part of their staple diet; not because they tasted nice but because they were easy to grow and thus cheap to produce. They used to come in big tins from Spain by the lorryload maybe still do ending up stacked up in the back rooms of delicatessens. They've never tasted any better than they did before although people like to pretend that they do and so that while incredibly cheap to produce they've never made into Macdonalds or KFC . Although maybe on the odd pizza where the taste can be disguised with artificial cheese and tomato puree.

michael adams

michael adams

As demonstrated by Waitroses astonishing sales of single 'carrots' at the self service tills.

Reply to
Andrew

I bet you really had to pit your brains to come up with that ...

Reply to
Andy Bennet

He has. The "s" is silent in his case.

Reply to