Connected to Internet but not WWW

Strange problem this morning. Running W10 and using Turnpike, I can access mail and news, and assume I can post news if you are reading this. However, cannot access WWW using Chrome, Firefox or Edge. Tried the built in Windows diagnostics, which didn't help.

Wife, sitting next to me, can access everything, same wireless connection, so must be my laptop. I've cold booted the router and this laptop, which didn't help.

Now I'm out of my depth. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Graeme

Could it be a DNS resolution problem?

If you've configured your news and mail servers using IP addresses, then they won't need to do DNS lookups, but the browser will.

Could be the ISP's DNS. You could try using 8.8.8.8 and see if that works.

Reply to
Caecilius

Looks like some port based firewall in in the way.

Delete Windows and install Linux.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, I turned off Windows firewall, but that didn't help :-(

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Caecilius writes

Over my head BUT I have just turned off Avast's Web Shield and now I can access the WWW, but why? I have not turned on Web Shield recently, and assume it has always been on, so why did it suddenly cause a problem?

Reply to
Graeme

The firewall is certainly one issue. The first thing I did on 10 was to enable system restore and put some points in manually whenever I thought it wise. Restoring it then put things back together again.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

right click the start icon and choose "command prompt"

try e.g.

ping

does it give 4 replies? or some error?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Suggest you do a deep AV scan. Web browsers misbehaving like that tends to suggest that some advertising malware or potentially unwanted program has managed to install itself on your PC.

The AV may well have cut off the web to try and protect you from it.

Try whatever you have installed and something like MalwareBytes or Adaware to see what gives. Neighbours seem to get caught like this with monotonous regularity. Have you installed any new software recently?

Reply to
Martin Brown

I used Ping via Turnpike, and that worked fine, with several sites. Most around 22ms.

The culprit seems to have been Avast, but I don't know why.

Reply to
Graeme

Probably to generate a paid support call to someone.

Whenever someone tells me they have issues with their WinPC its nearly always bolt on security needed because the original OS is a POS.

Thank Clapton for Linux. Not perfect, but so much better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you have Avast set to update automatically? If so, maybe Web Shield got reconfigured during a recent update and turned on.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I just had an attack of severe Chrome misbehaviour, and this turned out to be the reason, cured by Malwarebytes.

Another machine has Outlook misbehaving, following the latest Win 10 update.

Reply to
newshound

Maybe it sends all your requests to a proxy server, which is down for some reason? Or maybe they have a white list, which is currently unavailable?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Our lass has a cheapo Alba tablet that I had to use on holiday to cancel a hotel at a petrol station as my £1200 Acer would not even detect the n etwork. I put this down to the Aluminium casing.

Reply to
Simon Mason

I recently removed avast from every machine not long ago as it started hijacking e-mail and usenet posts by injecting a SPAM signature block using non standard 3 x hyphen separator " --- "

It'd been going that way for a while with regular updates trying to sneakily install chrome etc...

I also had the same issue as yourself a while back. Think that might have been Avast "webshield" that had decided it knew best..

Currently running Avira Free - has the "do you want to upgrade" box pops up every now and again but so far it's behaving.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I have a tablet which has a very strong wifi connection and sometimes cannot connect to the internet. Work that one out, but could be any number of reasons, dns being the favoured one

Reply to
BobH

In message , Martin Brown writes

OK. I have done full scans with up to date Malwarebytes and Spybot, neither of which found any nasties. However, I have run 'repair' on Avast, and whatever the problem was, it seems to have disappeared. I think Avast itself was the problem, probably as a result of an automatic update, as suggested elsewhere.

Just run the usual Shields Up tests, and nothing shows as vulnerable.

Reply to
Graeme

Its web scanner is probably configured to act as a web proxy (so it can intercept web traffic before your browser sees it). So either proxy was not caching correctly or perhaps the name resolution for the proxy was misconfigured.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John. Plan A was to uninstall then reinstall Avast, but, when going through the procedure, a 'Repair' option appeared so I used that and, after rebooting and various scans (Malwarebytes, Spybot) all seems to be well.

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Graeme writes

Except that Avast has starting adding that f***ing sig again! Hopefully gone now.

Reply to
Graeme