Borked Internet Explorer

Running XP Home.
Simply does not load and chews up CPU time.
I had IE 8
Is there any repair provision? There was no CD supplied with this computer and the only back up I can find here is IE 7.0
Help!:-)
regards
--
Tim Lamb

they were saying:

Uninstall it from Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs, then reinstall via either Windows Update or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/internet - explorer/thank-you.aspx
Or just install Firefox (don't forget AdBlockPlus) - far, far, far better browser...

I tried Windows update but without first uninstalling.
Try again this evening.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

It's God's way of telling you to install Firefox which is vastly superior. However you could try here.
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/44681.aspx
--
Dave Baker

writes

:-) If IE worked then I would be able to!
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

Get someone to email you a small browser. I've just downloaded "Off by one", a compact browser that only 839kb in zipped form. If you want it I'll send it. No idea if it's any good but it would probably be good enough to download Firefox.
Tim

My wife has Firefox on a laptop. If I get really desperate I'll get a copy from her. I rather hoped there would be a repair facility tucked away somewhere as I am trying to avoid the zillions of *upgrades* necessary to safely run Explorer.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Downie wrote:

No need. FTP it from here.
ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.12/win32/en-GB/Firefox%20Setup%203.6.12.exe
Sure windows still has a dos style FTP client..its 8Mbyes or so.

Hmm.. You have to remember you are dealing with the agricultural end of Internet adepts:-(
ISTR Demon ditched their FTP arrangement.
I thought I had made progress earlier. Removed IE8 and msoft promptly advised me of new software available (IE8)
So I installed it, plus the two security upgrades and restarted the machine expecting all to be well.
Not so.
Desk top icon appears to respond normally but explorer does not open/display. On shutting down I get *IE explore.exe not responding* message.
regards

--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

got nuthing to do with demon.
Start-->run program Run command.com
when the box opens up, type
ftp releases.mozilla.org
Log in with username anonymous, and no password Then bin cd pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.12/win32/en-GB/ get "Firefox Setup 3.6.12.exe"
have a coffee.
Run the downloaded installer. It will be in c:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\
Simples!

cmd.exe, not command.com. The latter is the old DOS one, the former works reasonably well.
On 08/11/2010 18:52, Tim Lamb wrote:

Its easy enough if you do the following:
Open a command prompt in windows (Start->Run, type "cmd" in the box and click ok. That should leave you sitting in a DOS like prompt - probably at the documents directory for the current user. If you want to make it easy to find the file you download, you could just type (hitting return after each step)
cd \
that will move you to the root of the current drive (e.g. probably c:\)
Now type:
ftp releases.mozilla.org
You will be prompted for a username and password, enter anonymous for the username and anything you like for the password (traditionally your email address)
Now type:
cd pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.12/win32/en-GB
Next type:
bin get "Firefox Setup 3.6.12.exe"
wait for it to download. Finally type:
bye start "Firefox Setup 3.6.12.exe"
That should do it. ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

writes

I could have emailed a browser to him hours ago though. ;-)
Tim

All is well that ends well:-)
The first few tries managed to annoy some university server but John's version required less mental agility than TNPs.
I would still like to know what to do with IE though.
Thanks to all.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

uninstall it and leave it that way.

Email it back to Bill Gates....

Tim,
Just fixed a customer's XP PC with similar symptoms. First attempt, similar to yours: Uninstalled IE8, hence reverting to IE7. IE7 worked OK. Looks promising, so re-installed IE8 via Windows Update - symptoms returned. Second attempt: Uninstalled Rapport - bingo! problem solved.
HTH.
writes

Tim,
Just fixed a customer's XP PC with similar symptoms. First attempt, similar to yours: Uninstalled IE8, hence reverting to IE7. IE7 worked OK. Looks promising, so re-installed IE8 via Windows Update - symptoms returned. Second attempt: Uninstalled Rapport - bingo! problem solved.
HTH.
Good thing to note: Rapport froze my XP Home laptop too: it's a real resource hog. Works on the pc which has 2gig ram, but not on the laptop that only has 240 meg.
(IE8 also spends most of its time saying 'connecting' even when set to a blank page, so I've been on Firefox since IE8 came out, except or the rare occasions when I am required to use IE to use the Windows Update site.)
In message

Umm.. That's interesting. I have Rapport!
Ta.
--
Tim Lamb

Second attempt? I'm impressed. There's a lesson for me here: when a PC is borked get on with something else wait 12 hours then look in uk.d-i-y for solution ;)
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0hotmailcom