Can you slow down the internet?

I'm surprised you haven't blamed that on the EU or greenies. Or more likely on immigrants stealing your bandwidth?

Just trying to make the point that successive UK governments ignore the requirements of the country as regards basic infrastructure. And your wonderful free market certainly isn't going to help unless there is a buck or two to be made.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Trust you to bring up the case.

Its perhaps ironic that a consequence of the lack of infrastructure to match demand such as housing through immigration seems to be a consistent theme endorsed by remainers.

Reply to
Fredxx

Oh the irony of it.

Does your local shop complain about having more custom due to immigrants, etc? Why then should any paid for service not expand to meet demand?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, they rejoice at the UK low wage economy and whinge at online shopping.

It takes time for houses, roads and schools to be built. Government rules also tend to frustrate development.

Reply to
Fredxx

Like that staggering welsh reg that all new builds must have sprinklers fitted.

I would guess that that will simply increase the fire damage. As well as cost.

Dont get me started on air sourced heat pumps either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And all those things frustrate laying in fibre optics to connect rural areas properly, do they?

Any more excuses you want to invent?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, she lives on her own.

Reply to
Terry Casey

A few years ago, wasn't there a problem in some of the less populated parts of the country where BT had refused to install fibre?

An independent company was set up who were prepared to install fibre over an entire area but it would only be financially viable if they were given the sole rights to do so.

The next thing that happened was BT turned up on masse and started installing fibre except. of course, they cherry picked which areas to install it in.

Reply to
Terry Casey

When I first signed up for broadband in 2006, it was about 1meg and I managed to work from home using a company laptop with Nortel VPN quite easily.

Reply to
Andrew

Apart from increasing your phone bill.

Reply to
Andrew

we had such a company descend on our village. It was going to be FTP. When pressed they thought the cost likely to be a bit over £100 per month!

Reply to
charles

Using plain text for emails (without attachments) works fine even on 56k dial-up, so maybe your friend has allowed microsoft to impose the HTML (or whatever) email default.

Reply to
Andrew

at our Village Hall, the bill went down.

Reply to
charles

No, they are in fact 3 dimensional

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

2006 might have well be last century in terms of domestic data usage though. Ten years ago when we moved here, and I had a pair of 2Mb/s connections it seemed almost adequate for business and pleasure. Now however the same rate is woeful. Just patching a out of the box new PC to current standards takes a couple of days, and that is before the kids want to watch youtube.
Reply to
John Rumm

Remember that 2Mb ADSL usually comes with c. 512K upload. That can make large attachments slow, uploading a web site a pain, doing file transfer over a VPN excruciating, and sending something to youtube et al a non starter.

It may be for some, but it would not be here.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org>, Terry Casey snipped-for-privacy@example.invalid scribeth thus

I use 200 and 50 meg services at Two locations and in reality theirs sod all between then as long as shes the only user might not notice course the rest of the Internet on the sending side might not be quite so fast;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Yup. I've got fibre to the cabinet here, and they fairly recently doubled the speed as measured. Didn't notice any difference at all. Catch up etc has always worked well here. Downloads seem to depend on 'the other end'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

on 08/12/2018, Andrew supposed :

Not by much..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I bet I'm not the only one to like watching Big Clive whilst reading this group

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog