Moving internet and mobile phone suppler

After much heart searching I decided to move from Plusnet to BT. the phone change was a nightmare. I was left with no phone after Plusnet disconnected me (reasonable) meanwhile BT first sent me the incorrect phone number, then after three attempt managed to get the correct SIM to me. However the internet swap was fault less, why they made such a mess of the phone i do not know, and probably never will!

Reply to
Broadback

I thought plusnet were part of bt these days? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

nominally they are

but operationally they are separate

It's not clear why someone might be enticed to move from PN to BT, but presumably there was a reason

tim

Reply to
tim...

faster internet and lower cost!

Reply to
Broadback

surely that's a function provided by openReach, and they can offer that via any supplier

That'll be a first

tim

Reply to
tim...

We recently switched from Plusnet to BT. Our ADSL managed 4 Mbps on a really good day with even more appalling upload speed and no prospect of any improvement. So I stirred things and OpenReach decided to lay on full FTTP for everyone here.

Once that was in place, we asked Plusnet to supply but they do not handle FTTP - few ISPs do. So we went with BT as the best/simplest option. Their BT Wifi is also very convenient as we often need access when out and about.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Because BT was the GPO in the days when a 6 to 18 month delay (or greater!) to provide a phone service was common.

Fifty years on they're still in catch-up mode ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

Surely in this day and age you can keep your phone numbers when changing supplier?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Having been with BT since this was first on offer, I didn't know that.

Quite. I have a smart phone but PAYG, and find the BT with Fone very useful indeed in London. Very few spots I can't get it.

I can't really comment on BT service when things go wrong as they haven't. And I'd rather it stayed that way. My previous ISP (Talk Talk) broke down a few times a year.

However, they did replace the Humax PVR which was part of my original BT TV deal, and promptly.

I still have the original two piece router, so am going to see if they'll update that free too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not if there was an existing phone line. Oh - I remember us getting the phone in the early 1950s, after my father changed jobs. Took 3 weeks - but admittedly a party line. And he wasn't a priority.

You think if you live in the sticks one of the private ISPs will run in a new line for you quickly?

We had an early Virgin system round here. Maintainance and service was appalling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I once did some consultancy for an outside organisation. An extra phone line to my house was needed, and it was installed in a couple of days. This was about 1983.

It helped that the organisation was BT at Martlesham Heath.

Reply to
Bob Eager