Well done Openreach

Intermittent broadband fault, when Plusnet sent the *second* POTS engineer I was wondering how long this would drag on for.

But all credit to the man, although there was no phone or broadband fault showing he decided to look at the drop from the gutter (made easier by the fact that I already had a scaffold tower up there). Hooked up to the connectors, pulled the supply wire and the line drops out. Ladder up the pole, new supply wire and all fixed in about 20 minutes. The only pity was that he disappeared without giving me a chance to say thanks.

Reply to
newshound

The recommended standard procedure is to offer BT/Openreach staff tea or coffee plus chocolate biscuits on arrival!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

They were declined!

Reply to
newshound

Maybe he was an imposter!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

They do that, I have a theory that they are beamed up to some starship. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You can praise Openreach employees through their website contact

or

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Done: thanks!

Reply to
newshound

Depends on the job. If you want your socket in a particular place or DIY mistakes fixing then it is best to use an unwanted banknote as a coaster...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

And handymen?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why would you offer the BT/Openreach staff a handyman?

Reply to
Huge

I have never found this necessary. Treat workmen as guests in your home and usually bribes are not required.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

If I don't want my Zimbabwean first dollars I don't think Mr Openreach would either.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Last time Openreach visited me, the offer of a cuppa was also declined (I didn't have any biccies to offer).

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

It happens that Adrian formulated :

That may be because the guy didn't like tea or coffee, like me. When I worked on BT and people offered a brew, I'd say no thanks, but I will have a glass of water (at which point they would often offer lemonade or some such). Sometimes though, they would come up behind you and say, "Here you are, I've made you a brew", which I then had to drink out of courtesy - but I hated it :'(

Reply to
Dave

Probably also see a number of places where you wouldn't want to eat anything prepared there...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Nah I'm on a diet ;-)

Reply to
kraftéé

Sorry for the delay but I haven't stopped laughing.

I thought the reference to imposter was because of the tea/biscuits.

Only later did I realise it may also have referred to the fact that he had fixed it.

Flop

Reply to
Flop

LOL! I did mean the tea/biscuits but I do like your lateral thinking.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Agreed and if you are drinking tea you aren't fixing the fault and moving onto the next one. I bet they are at least loosely tracked on how long they take and what they do to fix things these days.

And of course there is the other problem of how to get rid of the tea after you have processed it. Not a serious problem in rural ares but could be in suburban ones.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The last one here was in such a hurry he forgot his wire connector tool:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb