Internet connection

As you say in your OP, they told you "Fault appears to have been due to water ingress to distribution cabinet in contact with unsleeved wiring" in other words a large bundle of copper pairs, in a conducive medium. This will invariably adversly affect the xDSL. Moreover, it tends to put a buzz or hum on the voice lines due to the pairs becoming unbalanced wrt earth. You don't mention how well or badly your line worked ss a phone line.

Reply to
Graham.

Even 500 mili-bits per second is nothing to write home about.

Reply to
Graham.

Ok so Open Reach may have finally fixed it!

Third visit over 4 weeks. Fault appears to have been due to water ingress to distribution cabinet in contact with unsleeved wiring.

The fault was initially identified as leakage (wrong resistance/voltage) on an underground section.

We do not have fibre to the cabinet so the overall cable distance is about 1 mile! with the final 400m overhead.

I suppose I should be very grateful to now get 15Mb up although I suspect they might have been wise to dial in a bit more reserve.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message <AmrNCLYfb+ snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Oops 15Mb down!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It'll dial itself in over a couple of weeks, if it needs it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

well going from 500 mb/s fibre to 15 mb ADSL feels like going from 15 mb/s ADSL to 33.6k Dial up modem so you have my sympathies......

Reply to
SH

15Mbps up is not ADSL though That's FTTC
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It might be, I'm on ADSL and have ~20Mb/s down & ~1Mb/s up.

Regards

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

1Mbps UP is not 15Mpbs UP....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

According to TNP 15Mb is good considering the exchange distance. We don't game or watch HD TV so 15 is ample.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Indeed. Up varies between 0.5 and 2.0Mb

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Indeed, but if you read the whole thread you'll see that that was a typo and should have been 15 down

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

ADSL2+ would be adequate for 15Mbps - although uplink is limited to

1.4Mbps max.
Reply to
John Rumm

I have had uplinks up to 3 Mb but also as low as 0.3Mb. Seems to vary am-pm. Currently 1.4Mb 8.00pm Dropped out at 6.30pm this evening and took 30mins. to re-stabilise at

14.5Mb after a router reset. Quiet line test gave some crackles.

My theory (ignored by at least 4 telephone engineers) is that the line is in contact with a neighbour and that the dropouts are when the other person gets a call/uses the phone. No drops for 3 days over Christmas. Elderly person staying with relatives?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I replied before that had been made clear and so did you

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am talking about 500 MEGA bits /sec not 500 milli-bits /sec :-)

Reply to
SH

Then you need to use M instead of m. We shouldn't have to infer what you mean from the context.

Some people write $0.02 and others write 0.02¢ . These two monetary values are not the same.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Then why didn't you use the correct abbreviation?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Gentlemen please!

Do we have any telephone engineers in here who might lay a finger on what is actually happening?

My agricultural idea is that somewhere between here and the local exchange, two conductors are in partial or full contact such that a conventional call puts my router into *reset mode* for the call duration. Yesterday evening it took 30 minutes to reset to 14Mb or so. For three days over Christmas we had a stable connection and this was prior to the cable water tidy up. Tests of line voltage and resistance appear to satisfy the visiting engineers as they might if the other line is rarely used!

There is an elderly resident, some doors away, where the land line is rarely used but retained for the emergency call facility.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Any chance of getting this person to make a call (or allow you to make a call at his residence) at a known time and see what effect it has, if any?

Reply to
Tim Streater