What sort of internet download speeds are you guys getting

(out of interest)

I assume those a long way from main towns get low speeds like some of us here.

Reply to
Bod

Looks like we're getting 305 Mbit/s, according to the speed test on my husband's PC. This PC has a 100 Mbit/s Ethernet card, so that's all I'm getting here.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I can have 1000Gb if I choose to pay for that but choose to pay for 50Gb

Not here.

Reply to
Fred

The price difference does not usually justify the speed once you pass a certain point. Sending an email will take .01 seconds instead of .001. For most of us the difference is negligible for everyday use.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I get 390/390 symmetrical for $60/month. Used to be $40 a month but I lost the $20 bundle discount when I dropped the TV service. (Streaming is the way to go these days.) For an extra $20/month I could get 940/940 but I don't really need that much speed.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Right after a certain point you are depending on the speed that the servers that you are connecting to can send out the data to you.

As I am mostly the only one on the computer/data stream almost anyting above 10 mbps or whatever it takes to watch a you tube vidio is usually good enough for my usage. The standard low end is 200 mbps so much of that is wasted on me.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Fred's Gb's are almost certainly Mb's. Nowhere on the planet is anyone selling 1000Gb service.

Agreed.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

It isnt the speed of sending email that matters, its uploading videos, backups to the cloud etc that matters speed wise.

Reply to
Fred

Upload speeds are always slower. Just click "send" and go to bed. We did that in the old days downloading a file with a 1200 baud modem. For most of us, that is done once a week or so, not five times a day. Is it worth an extra $25 to $75 a month for it?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not always, some do offer a symmetrical service.

No thanks, quite a bit of the time when uploading videos I want it done quickly because I am discussing the video with someone.

But you werent uploading videos then. Or having the system automatically backup to the cloud either.

Its different now with automatic backups of new photos and videos and when discussing a video.

It only costs me $20 a month more for 50/20 instead of

25/5 and I actually got 100/50 for a little less than the adsl2+ which only did 10/1 which was hopeless for video uploads.
Reply to
Fred

I forget all the details but the team doing the computer animations for the movie Tron were not in LA. It would take all night to upload a ridiculously short sequence.

I was still on dialup when I downloaded the shop manual for my 2007 Yaris via bittorrent. It took all weekend.

Reply to
rbowman

Torrents are different, they don?t do what the physical link can do.

Reply to
Fred

I am getting a solid 10-11 meg on DSL. I could get Comcast cable and

10x that speed but it would be down once or twice a day, sometimes all day. I saw them running a new "hardline" down my street, replacing that 35 year old cable that was up there on the pole so if I hear their reliability improved, I might give them another chance.

I tried an LTE (cell) connection and it sucked balls. I could get anywhere from 25+m to zero, (totally down). I think they just sent be a bad box but support from Verison was non-existent. Nobody seemed to know squat about this new product. I sent it back during the free trial period.

Reply to
gfretwell

Upload speeds tend to be slower than download on cable systems, DSL, and dial-up. Fiber systems tend to be symmetrical - same speed in both directions.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Comcast - 952 Mbps download and 42 Mbps upload

I'm in an AT$T Slow-verse neighborhood so fastest speed they offer here is 6 Mbps download and less than 1 Mbps up.

Reply to
Maskless Sociopath