Quad bikes: a semantic question

'Bi' means two, so bicycles and motor bikes are called what they are because they have two wheels. So why are quad bikes called quad bikes when they have four wheels? They should be called motorised quadricycles.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I believe that may be the official classification, it applies to the glorified go-karts such as Renault Twizzy, I thought Smart "cars" were included but apparently not ...

Andy Burns

Therefore Quad Bi must mean 8 wheeled...

I'll get my coat.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Different etymologies: "quad bikes" stems from Hooray Henries racing round Tom Quad who found 4 wheels better than 2 after a third bottle of Claret.

Reply to
Robin

Nah, they are strictly for the gamekeepers. The old Etonians in ChCh wouldn't be seen in anything less than a Landy...

Reply to
newshound

I agree but I guess it was a trade name first like Hoover and has now slipped into common usage. Round here we call them pikey Bikes, as the youth of the travellers seem to use them a lot with a trailer behind them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But what is smart about a smart car? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Motorquikes? The common term is nonsensical - same as '3-wheeled bike'. Just because of handlebars and saddle...! I've seen plenty of (pedal) bike with a seat, not saddle, and 'tiller', not 'bars.

There's a place near Doncaster, supposed to be somewhat educational, that has "octobikes" - actually a trike with 8 seats. I've seen a tractor with one seat referred to as a 4x4 and also a 6-wheeler with more than 4 seats the same.

Reply to
PeterC

Round here the farmers use them.

I was surprised to see one with a spreader on the back; it was slug pellets, where you don't need many per acre.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I always found them entertaining around the Yorkshire dales when they were ridden by a shepherd with his two border collies leaning into the bends on the rear carrier.

One snowy day I spotted one pulling up in front of a rural school with two little girls in pink jackets and wellies sat where the border collies usually were.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike