Subject Author Posted Replies

Clock problem, balance wheel
I have a 1 transistor balance wheel clock that gains 5 minutes a day. Repea ted adjustment over about 3 turns so far of the speed adjusting screw has m ade no noticeable difference. I can't tell which...
20
20

I must be getting old...
Today I took my daughter?s broken washing machine to the tip, WITHOUT SALVAGING A SINGLE COMPONENT! Tim
22
22

ceramic valve mixer tap very stiff
I have a pillar style mixer tap with a ceramic valve in the downstairs loo. The tap had had been stored in a garage for a couple of years, if that is relevant. It is just very stiff to operate, and in...
1
1

OT: Random Numbers
I am interested in the game Yahtzee - so I decided to emulate it in Excel VBA. A Yahtzee is all of five dice throws giving the same number. I wrote a VBA program which: Ran for a million times. Each...
15
15

bosch exxcel error FO4
Please help fix it
4
4

Combi/shower problem
My mother?s shower is playing up. Apparently it has taken to starting off fine but then going cold after a couple of minutes. I went up and had a look and as far as I can make out, the boiler seems to...
21
21

EDF heavy handed on smart meters?
Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather stroppy. Can't be enforced, can it? Anyone else in a similar...
17
17

Sealed lead acid battery
I have a multi-light rechargeable torch that takes a sealed lead acid battery (6V, 4Ah). I had occasion to use it recently and found the battery to be somewhat dead. It operated the light for a very...
12
12

OT Gender pay gap
Bit long but interesting. Channel 4 News’ full, fiery interview with clinical psychologist and professor Jordan B Peterson, whose views on gender have amassed great controversy - and a huge online...
59
59

OT: Ice skating on a slope?
Anyone ever tried ice skating on a slope?
12
12

Shoe Glue
What's the best glue to glue leather uppers to soles? Never been able to find one that works. (For long)
24
24

LED filament bulbs
Came across this, interesting. We offer a range of LED bulbs for sale from GU10 LED bulbs and B22 bulbs to E14 and G4 LED bulbs.
40
40

OT: BBC The Life Scientific: Prof Jim Al-.. interviews Eben Upton on R-Pi
The man who brought us the Raspberry Pi was interviewed by Professor Jim Al-Khalili at 9:00 AM today. Quite Interesting. But dare I suspect that he had a headstart with all the existing Acorn and ARM...
1
1

Keyless Entry - security
I have read of the odd car theft where a device is used to access the code from a keyfob in the house to unlock and steal a car. I am about to get a car with such a feature. Is keeping the fob in a...
149
149

Can I just disconnect the MR16 GU5.3 halogen downlighters and leave the bulbs in situ?
Suppose I decided to get rid of the halogen downlighters altogether. Can I just disconnect them? That is, remove the spring ring, pull the connector off the bulb, then put the bulb and spring ring...
6
6