Terminal laminator?

Lights on, rollers get hot, drive motor dead.

No broken bits in drive train. All thermostats and fuses okay (including thermal fuse).

Time to bin it or is it worth looking closer at the motor?

Tim

--

Reply to
Tim+

Paper and gunge jammed round the spindle? Can the rollers be turned manually? I'd try and get the rollers out/moving. Failing that, the motor is dead and might as well buy a new one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I had one die, I forget the symptoms for the moment, and I took it apart to see if anything was worth salvaging but quickly decided just to bin and replace. I'd suggest you replace it with an A3 one: not much more expensive, still fine for A4, but sometimes A3 is handy (especially if you have an A3 printer, and they are not expensive now.

Reply to
newshound

Depends on your definition of "worth".

Reply to
Dave W

Well it looks like it's just the motor that's kaput.

Thought I'd be able to find a replacement on eBay but not having any luck.

Can anyone suggest a source?

It's finding one with a short shaft that I'm struggling with.

Tim

--

Reply to
Tim+

Broken ones turn up regularly at repair events. Usually, some part of the plastic drive chain has failed, such as a stripped cog or broken axle mounting so gears don't engage. Also the auto on/off sensor broken.

Motors can burn out - usually quite obvious by looking and field and armature windings. People generally don't notice that cheap shredders are only rated for a small duty cycle, such as 1 minute's use every 5 mins.

Unless it's a particularly good quality shredder, I can't imagine you would find a replacement motor for much less than a replacement shredder.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sorry if this comes across as ungrateful, but it's NOT a shredder and I've already said that there are no broken bits in the drive train.

I'm now just looking for the right motor.

Tim

--

Reply to
Tim+