What was this device?

It was an item in a charity shop and the staff didn't know what it was..

About 12" square and an 1.5" thick, opening out clam shell style to double that size, white plastic with some black parts. Each side had a

3.5" very slim cooling fan in it and opened up, each side had two lift up hinged arms which could be raised from it. It appeared to be made from a child's type toy plastic.

I could not see any obvious way for power to be applied, nor any means to add a battery, I saw what appeared to be some sort of micro switches or sensors, of a type I have never seen before. Staff didn't know what it was, or its purpose.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

post the picture you took

Reply to
John Smith

Sounds intriguing. Next time, please get your phone out and take a picture.

Reply to
Graham.

Some sort of USB powered laptop cooling stand?

Reply to
Halmyre

Halmyre wrote on 06/12/2018 :

That was my first thought, but it seemed not well suited to that use. Opened out, it didn't present a flat surface. Sorry, I didn't have my phone with me, so no photo.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Are the fans opposite each other when the unit is closed?

I'm thinking some sort of air filter, open up to put filter in, one fan sucking, one blowing, hinged arms to prop it up.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Clive Arthur laid this down on his screen :

No they are off set from each other..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Richard

Richard submitted this idea :

Only £2.99 and maybe worth it for the 2x fans, but I don't really need them..

Charity shops are becoming quite expensive, some items are priced up at more than new. A new Sue Rider opened on Monday, in a new outlet on a new estate. It is purpose built, though they probably got it cheap to fill it and it is quite massive, larger than any other charity shop I have ever come across.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

When you've finished with it, give it to a charity shop.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Clive Arthur expressed precisely :

It does make me wonder how they can price things up, when they don't know what they are. A while ago I came across a multi-bladed pair of scissors - around 5 blade parts, operated as one. The shop didn't know what they were, and it took me a while to realise their purpose - a manual paper shredder.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

ARW

+1
Reply to
FMurtz

Many now sell new products, I have supplied charity shop chains with note pads and diaries in the 100s of thousands.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Muddymike used his keyboard to write :

Yes, I have seen those, plus new walking sticks, cleaning cloths, sweeties and even new retailers new surplus donated items.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Local Mencap shop had a (new) wardrobe priced at £219, needs assembling (probably beyond many, nowadays) plus, of course, delivery. I'd been looking at the same item on ebay: £143 - £145 depending on the day and free, next-day, delivery. When I finally decided to get it - £122! It was a bit of a pig to assemble, mainly due to the variation in the wood. Got in some screws, last one obviously would shear before going in. Had to take out the other 3 screws so that I could drill a pilot hole. Also, I've blown the warranty as I used pan-head st. st. screws for the back panels, rather than panel pins, so that it can be dismantled. It weighs ~43kg and is too big to get down the stairs.

Reply to
PeterC

PeterC formulated the question :

A local Heart shop stocks some of those self assembly units, - but as you suggest, much more expensive than other sources.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The curse of High Street stores, isn't it? Punters come in and look at the goods, then buy them online from people without the overheads.

Reply to
GB

GB was thinking very hard :

It is called competition. I have little sympathy for charity stores, where they charge more than conventional retailers - they get their stores at reduced rates, voluntary unpaid staff too in most cases.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I did the opposite - had it bookmarked for when I could be in for delivery and then noticed it across the store only because I recognised it.

Early in the year there was a similar one in BHF, the most noticeable difference being the wooden, rather than hardboard, back. It was a bit dammaged so needed some work, cost £25 delivery and was £150! I had a couple of items to donate, so the van would come to my house anyway, but the delivery charge still held fora 'zero' trip. BHF lost a sale and two items.

Reply to
PeterC