LED tubes

Looking at the LED replacement tubes TLC have on offer, I can find no mention of the life. Except 3 years - which means not a lot to me. They do have a three year warranty, though. Why is the more usual hours of running not quoted?

The fluorescent tubes I'm thinking of replacing are more like 20 years old. Do LEDs self destruct with time? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, most lighting has a heat issue, particularly semiconductor ones, but its kind of like how long is a piece of string with lamps like this as they can fail due to the psu, or individual leds can fail, but this does not cause a total failure. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not quite. Surely there is a rated life? Although not guaranteed, the figure quoted should allow comparisons to be made. GLS for example was always quoted as 1000 hours, which allowed the user to conclude that the lifetime was (likely to be) shorter than that of a fluorescent tube.

Reply to
Scott

Yes. Florries used to be quoted at something like 10,000 hours - although output could fall off somewhat in that time.

If they mean 3 years continuous - ie some 26,000 hours - I'd be happy with that. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Their 4,000 lumen daylight ones quote 30,000 hours

Though you were holding out for better than CRI90?

Reply to
Andy Burns

typo, better than 80

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just generally curious, since I see a lot of posts expressing concern about LED bulb life, actual and expected. I have yet to have one fail on me. The oldest ones in my house are from about 8 years ago, when I did a bathroom refit. The bathroom in question is the main bathroom, so lots of daily use and some extended periods of artificial illumination.

Have I simply been lucky? I'd guess I have 15 or so LED bulbs in use.

Ant.

Reply to
anonymousrapscallion

"Brian Gaff" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:pubfoc$q7t$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Why can't the heat sensitive components be designed to cope better?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It can. But the tight fisted consumers wont pay the increase in costs.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Money

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And the .PDF datasheets for the other lengths/wattages say the same.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I had an IKEA lamp fail, and by the time I visited to return it a couple of years had elapsed since purchase. They initially were disinclined to allow a refund, suggesting that I could have had it on permanently.

I asked how the maths for that worked, which they didn't want to share, and after further consultation they "made an exception" and refunded me.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

LEDs do not produce heat so that is not a failure mechanism. Mechanical failure is most likely and I have a new totally enclosed and waterproof LED lantern which quotes 50000 hours typical life. Not seen the tubes but the construction must be similar to other LED luminaries with LEDs spread along the length of the tube. I would expect similar service life.

Reply to
Old Codger

Old Codger brought next idea :

Actually they do, it is more obvious with the higher wattage versions, but they do. Their driver circuits generate most of the waste heat, problem is disposing of the heat - the higher their working temperature, the shorter their working life.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No, the LEDS do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Really? Not seen the size of the heatsink fitted to high power ones like you'll find in a car headlight?

If it produced no heat, it would be (near) 100% efficient. They're not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

3350lm for a 5 footer and a claimed 133lm/W appears good and at around £8+vat they are cheap.

Maybe too good and too cheap? Their 330 degrees of beam angle will also be wasted somewhat in many fluoroscent fittings. Without correct heat management the output could be down the pan in a few years.

Osram do complete enclosed IP65 luminaires 5ft, 55W, 6500lm, 115lm/W with a 180 deg beam angle for 50 quid + vat with a 5 year guarantee (available from CPC)

--

Reply to
The Other Mike

Cost.

Reply to
whisky-dave

and in some cases (particularly the LED itself), physics.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

or just blow on it a little harder that should cool it ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave