Cord for reading glasses

As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read. I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style. I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay sellers, all crap. Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty cords? One that will post them to me. Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

DIY something.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Many RL opticians sell them. The ones with a loop at the end going through a little plastic toggle seem to last a few years, even if one is always catching them on things.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That's a thought. I do have some old shoe laces somewhere.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

You could try stealing someones security card that's on a lanyard and use that they are pretty strong and some are made of beads :-) .

Reply to
whisky-dave

Even though I too am starting to get on in years, I am super-sporty and healthy ;-). I use similar 'elasticated sports straps' to keep my glasses staying on, loosely, when I am playing squash racquets.

I agree that most of the ones you can buy are poor. Also, they tend to be adjustable, whereas I know exactly the size I want. Given the sweaty environment they are used in, they rust and go to pieces quite often. Even when buying multiples of the best I can find on eBay, I go through them at a rate of knots. So I have a d-i-y plan.

This involves (a) buying 8mm black elastic webbing, (b) getting o-rings of a suitable diameter (15--20mm), and (c) using some thin brass wire, a bit like the individual strands of picture hanging wire.

I will then: - cut the webbing into lengths previously decided upon - sew a small loop into each end, with one o-ring held within each end - squeeze the o-ring 'flat' and wrap some of the brass wire around it, like a spring almost, so that a small loop of the o-ring pokes out at the 'far' end. This is where you would put the arm of your glasses - put a tiny dab of solder, or maybe epoxy, on the brass wire to hold it together.

I've had this plan for a while - I clearly must have a lot of time on my hands (not)...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

The cords from Specsavers and Asda did not last for very long. I need industrial cords, but can't find any.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Thanks for your time and effort. All I need is something that will not break and will hold my glasses, not how to diy a Starship :-)

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Very small fishing line snaps

Reply to
FMurtz

Next time you change your glasses prescription get varifocals or bi-focals and you will not have to keep taking them off.

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I suggest you don't rush into getting varifocals. I was offered them, but I could not get used to them: I found that as I turned my head from left to right, vertical objects swayed from side to side (eg they went from several degrees left of vertical on one side of my field of view, to several degrees right of vertical on the other side):

\ on one side of field of vision | in centre of vision / on other side of vision

The optician checked her sight test and measurements of my pupil position and eye spacing and gave me another set of glasses which were just as bad, so it wasn't just due to duff measurements.

That was for a fairly mild distance and reading glasses, without (as far as I know) any complications like astigmatism.

I couldn't have driven in them, even though they allowed me to see road and dashboard in sharp focus at the same time, because as soon as I moved my head or a car went past, the geometric distortion of everything made me dizzy.

After the second pair, Specsavers offered me separate single-vision pairs of glasses at no extra cost. They were most intrigued by the symptom that I described because they'd never had anyone report it before with varifocals.

I've not tried bifocals. It would be interesting to see what they were like, if it wasn't necessary to commit to having them specially made up and then finding that I couldn't get used to them.

Reply to
NY

I've gone back to a single vision lenses for distance (and these days an intermediate pair, notionally for computer use).

The intermediates are "good enough" for most things around the house except watching TV, the problem is they're good enough to get out to the car before I realise I haven't swapped glasses as soon as I look beyond the bonnet.

Reply to
Andy Burns

When I first got reading glasses, I only needed them for reading a book. I didn't need them (and they made things more blurred) for using a computer at a slightly greater distance. My distance vision is almost OK, but I need very weak lenses to make things just slightly sharper.

As my accommodation has got worse over the last year, and my close sight has gradually got worse, I've got into the habit of wearing my reading glasses around the house to save me having to keep getting my reading glasses when I need to read cooking instructions, names on incoming letters etc.

And it's got to such a habit that I too have gone out to my car several times, still wearing my reading glasses, and only realised as I've started to reverse that things aren't as sharp as they should be. Get out of car, lock it, unlock house, find glasses, lock house, unlock car - it all takes time!

Reply to
NY

What about the 'strings' used to lift/lower venetion blinds ?.

This can be bought in a variety of thicknesses.

Reply to
Andrew

Or some fine-stranded electronic hookup cable.

Reply to
Andrew

Mine arent that bad, just not good enough for house numbers and I keep the distance pair in the car so easy to change when I need that.

The problem is with shelf labels in supermarkets. They are further away than the computer screen and I hardly ever remember to put on the correct single vision glasses before getting out of the car.

Reply to
87213

I've just been oiling my bathroom light switch. The pull-cord is a woven outer with straight glass-fibre core, so doesn't stretch. How about using such cord, simply knotted to the glasses? Or curtain cord.

Reply to
Dave W

snip

I honestly think they were being economical with the truth there, many people have similar problems - I certainly did! Walking gave me vertigo and nausea.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I just have the cord held in place by a bit of PVC electrical insulation tape on my workshop reading glasses.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Yes. I have thought of that and have just brought my Pound Shop pack of insulation tape into the house from the garage. It has only been in there for the past four years.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire