Glasses "smear" ?

Being mildly short sighted, I wear spectacles for driving & TV.
My current pair I bought for £14 online in 2012. Despite regular eye checks, my prescription varies so little, opticians have never suggested new glasses.
I have been meaning to buy a new pair for a while, just to have a second spare pair.
Anyway, as luck would have it, on Friday, I was out, and noticed a "smear" on my left lens. The glasses are actually plastic of some description.
However, no amount of washing/cleaning will shift this smear which actually looks like something has attached the plastic, or maybe one of the coatings ? It's definitely NOT a scratch.
Have tried washing up liquid) which is first line of cleaning. No good. Surgical spirit - no good. Isopropyl alcohol - no good.
Now have a spare pair on order, so it's not critical.
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what it is ?
Weirdly a similar thing happened with my swimming goggles a few months ago. *Something* caused the reflective film to "smear" and could not be cleaned off.
<tinfoil hat time> Is it of note that I had an eye test 2 weeks ago, and the optician had to check my glasses/prescription ? </tfht>
On 14/11/2016 11:32, Jethro_uk wrote:

Probably not related - I had a pair of distance glasses with tinted lenses - used them for driving in summer - left them on dash of car, and when I came back both lenses were like looking through wrinkled plastic. The coatings or lens had been knackered by the heat.
On 14/11/16 14:24, rick wrote:

Other things that can definitely fuck plastic lenses are fumes from things like superglue. IF the plastic is a good one, acetone (nail varnish remove) may remove the coating.
Or attack te plastic even more, if the plastic is NOT good.
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 14:39:04 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Hmm ... probably best wait for my new ones before I try anything :)
(the spectacle equivalent of "you did do a backup, didn't you ?" :) )

Interesting. My prescription sunnys have never held the lens in that well and I was considering using superglue to fix that.
Might try tarzans grip instead.

On Monday, 14 November 2016 14:39:06 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

eye

ed

nd

.

Cleaning plastic lenses gives a "coating" of fine scratches that makes them useless for night driving orl ooking towards bright sunlight.

Even sillier than you usually manage. I've had plastic lenses for decades now and never had either problem.
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 14:24:19 +0000, rick wrote:

Whilst I often leave my specs on the dashboard (since I can manage without when walking) it would have been a possibility if the weather on Friday had been that warm ....

Chances are something has partially dissolved the plastic. You'd probably need very expensive coated lenses to minimise the chances of this happening.
--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 15:15:04 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Which begs the question "what" ? If I had changed my routine, or been in contact with something potentially corrosive to plastic - especially since Thursday - I'm sure I'd know.
Although, considering they cost £14 (and were a nice style) in 2012, I can't really complain.
What I *can* complain about is the fact that the prices have shot up - even online. With the added tweak that the style I ordered in 2012 is "discontinued" - although ones 4x the price are available.
A bit of a trawl and I found what seems a similar style for £34 all in, which should be here before next Friday ...