Subject Author Posted Replies

Patio heating - gas or electric?
Now having a covered veranda we are contemplating adding some heating to ward off the evening chill and extend our sitting out period. The obvious candidates are a bottled gas patio heater or a wall...
36
36

Buying syntheic engine oil on the web
I see there is quite a spread in cost of fully synth. oil on eg ebay. eg £19. to £30 for 5/30(40). Are the more expensive ones (Castrol) worth the extra? I usually go to Halfrauds but 1st time try...
11
11

12v smoke alarm for low temperatures?
Hi I'm looking for a 12volt smoke alarm to install in my garage that I can link back to my house alarm control panel. I found one at TLC Direct but I noticed the specification states a minimum ambient...
3
3

Discharging Drill Batery
I have recently power surged a couple of 18v drill batteries to bring them back to life. I would now like to discharge them. I've thought of connecting an 18V bulb which can be bought ,but ive no idea...
12
12

Over-painting gloss paint
The time has come to redecorate, previously I have removed all the old paint and started afresh on bare wood. However as I am older I find it too much work, so I just wish to over-paint the gloss with...
4
4

Hanging (heavy) radiators to stud plasterboard wall
As subject. Going to replace 2 x (400mm x 600mm), single radiators, with a (800 x 600) and a (600 x 600), double ones. The new radiators are substantially heavier than the existing ones, so I want to...
19
19

draught proof window
I have a couple of 3 x 3` wooden windows, they are hinged at the top and where they close at the bottom with a latch thingy there is an uneven gap, going from zero to approx a couple of mm. I am...
12
12

Painting rusty spots on roof
I want to check that I have the right procedure for dealing with superficial rust on my galvanized steel roof. I understand that the sequence is sand the rust off, wash with water, apply rust killer...
5
5

Cat flaps
Anyone got a recommendation for a decent through wall cat flap? Looks like replacement moggies are arriving shortly (previous psycho kitty[1] finally pegged it a couple of years back, and I never got...
14
14

drain and disconnect a backbiler
hello - I have just bought my first house and wish to drain and disconnect the pipes feeding the backboiler as the chimney breast has recently craked and I need to fit a log burner, therefore digging...
9
9

attaching wooden fence posts to a nice stone topped wall
have a say 1m fence to construct atop a nice old curved low stone built garden wall, gtopped with some nice old large bits of flattish stone (think wall that had railings ontop before they were cut...
14
14

Things change and remain much the same
I was looking at pics of places I used to know and came across a connection. Half a century after this pic was taken, I was working for the same company. Even though the people in it were probably...
2
2

Change an extractor fan? Advice please
My wife recently had a humidistat and extractor fan fitted to her shower ro om. The fan is ~very~ loud and doesn't seem to have a lot of suck either - it can't even hold a tissue to itself........Are...
7
7

Heavy mirror onto dry lined wall
I am visiting an elderly friend on Tues - about 20 miles away. He has moved into a retirement home - stone built old house modernised and dry lined. He has asked me if I will put a mirror on the wall...
21
21

Connector blainking pin question
I'm making up some flat IDC cables which terminate in a 0.1 inch pitch IDC header socket. This fits onto a board connector with 9 pins (one omitted). Clearly I'd like to fill the unused hole to make...
16
16