Patio heating - gas or electric?

Now having a covered veranda we are contemplating adding some heating to ward off the evening chill and extend our sitting out period.

The obvious candidates are a bottled gas patio heater or a wall mounted electric radiant heater.

makes all sorts of claims for electric heating.

IIRC for cooking, central heating etc. electricity and bottled gas come in more expensive than mains gas but broadly comparable.

Anyone already been down this route?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Put on a jumper.

Sheesh.

Reply to
Huge

Put a coat on and then go indoors when you need more than that. Or move to somewhere warmer.

Reply to
mogga

Probably pay for a conservatory with the money spent of heating the patio for a few years!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you go down the gas route, be sure they take the bottles back. Some will exchange but not give your money back if you decide to finish with gas. (Obviously, you have to buy the first bottle.) Eg Calor.

Never seen an outdoor electric patio heater. Seems a dodgy concept.

Reply to
harry

What a stuffy bunch you are.

No soul either.

Just assume we may want to extend our evenings out on the veranda without nipping in for extra clothing or coming into the house because it is too cold outside.

There is a roof - so quite a bit of the heat could be trapped initially instead of just heading skywards.

Electric seems potentially good because it is mainly radiant heat.

Also, the calor gas patio heater are about 2.5m high which would be touching the plastic roof - so not a good idea to get a full height one.

There is an amazing choice of electric heaters, from around £40 for basically an outdoor floodlight with a radiant element, to around £1,000 (!).

Most 2kW heaters seem to be around the £130 mark.

I assume from the initial responses that not many of you lounge around outdoors in the late evening unless it is really warm or you have your parka on :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

I would get one of those chimnea things. Cheaper all round. Less to go wrong.

Reply to
harry

On 11/03/2013 16:55, harry wrote: ...

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On 11/03/2013 16:56, David.WE.Roberts wrote: ....

Outdoors? Is that the bit between a building and the car?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

A real fire on a wood deck with a wooden frame and plastic roof above.

No - nothing could possibly go wrong.

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

The whole idea is so totally un-green ....I mean... burning fossil fuel to stay warm in a totally uninsulated space.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its the bit outside the city where you cant drive

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you are feeling stuffy open a window or sit outside.

FFS

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You get the idea then:-)?

Reply to
ARW

See them a lot in London ... under parasols for the smokes outside pubs & restaurants.

Not much more than a IR single bar fire mounted vertically

Thought they were making gas patio heaters illegal to sell as environmentally insane

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Have to say, in half-way decent weather (i.e. not today!) it often seems to be the rising RH that makes it uncomfortable in the evening rather than temperature. That plus breezes.

We use our simple, small summerhouse well into the evenings. No heating. Hardy ever really feel that we would switch it on if we had any. Of course, that does (usually) cut any breeze a lot. And it also never feels quite as humid as outside.

As an experiment, I did try a single simple IR lamp (150 W ruby) and that was very effective in its way. But I wouldn't actually use it. Feels odd having warmth on one side and (relative) coolth the other. Body doesn't seem to like adjusting to that situation.

Reply to
polygonum

Doesn't strike me as a bright idea either. Thread resistance wire through coat & lined trousers, connect to upto 6v after ensuring the wire won't get too hot.

20w should keep you toasty,

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yeah, the big room with the blue ceiling and inadequate climate control. Nasty place.

Reply to
Huge

& lined trousers, connect to upto 6v after ensuring the wire won't get too hot. 20w should keep you toasty,

Does it have batteries or do the thirty guests trip over the maze of wiring they are all connected to.

In Australia we use the gas ones but mainly for what they are good for,entertaining,barbecues etc not for everyday use.

Reply to
F Murtz

I'm not too keen on the white carpet it has today.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar