draught proof window

I have a couple of 3 x 3` wooden windows, they are hinged at the top and where they close at the bottom with a latch thingy there is an uneven gap, going from zero to approx a couple of mm. I am thinking any of the normal sealing strips would prevent proper closure and was wondering if something like a very thin bead of caulk would do the job as when I next paint I could just paint over it. There is a slight draught coming in where the gaps are. The windows arent never opened.

Reply to
ss

What are the odds that, once you've painted over the caulk, you are going to want to open the windows again? If you know they are never going to be used, nail them shut.

This sounds to me like the perfect situation for that old-fashioned draught-excluder called Atomic Strip since you can alter the angle of the crease and the springiness to suit the situation.

It's jolly pricey these days but there is a cheapskate alternative that I've never tried but like the sound of: an empty PET bottle.

If I heard of it first on uk.d-i-y then I apologise for lack of appropriate acknowledgements but the idea is that you take an old 2l or 3l plastic bottle and cut a continuous 2cm strip by making a spiral cut around the bottle. Then score a crease 1/2-1/4 the way across. The score and the tension from unwrapping the spiral will result in the long edge being raised from the surface when you tack it down.

I guess that, provided you don't use a vivid blue White Lightning bottle nobody will notice the discreet strip of plastic. And in your case, if you really plan never to open the windows, nobody else will ever know.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Thanks Nick, no harm in giving that a go. I like to start with the free options first :-)

Reply to
ss

It is possible to use ordinary silicone sealant. Ideally, put some thing to act as a release surface. For example, put silicone on one surface, then a layer of very thin plastic sheet (polythene or polyester), then close window. When set, remove film.

Reply to
polygonum

Can you use cling film?

Reply to
GB

I have seen cling film used. Not sure if it came away from the set silicone but it would stop the silicone sticking to one surface which is the important bit.

Reply to
polygonum

Yes.

Reply to
Huge

or vaseline

Reply to
stuart noble

Way to make a permanent but openable silicone bead is lay a bead on the bottom surface, place a layer of plastic bag on top and shut the window. Leave it for two hours then Bob's yer strange uncle with the odd hobby in Frankfurt he never talks about.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've used tape on the outside as a temp measure. Aldi have 'All Weather Tape' which looks similar to the 3M tape I used. Incredibly strong and lasted v well. Worth getting a roll 'just in case' imo.

All Weather Tape £2. 99 each Extremely strong and resilient Suitable for outdoor use Weatherproof Size: 48mm x 25m

Reply to
Simon Cee

If that is the same as the Lidl equivalent - excellent. But am not sure about the 3M branded version offered recently.

Reply to
polygonum

another way is to soap one side with strong washing up liquid solution (that you can "see" the colour in) painted on.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

ISTR that the OP didn't intend to open the window, so why bother with release agents?

Reply to
Frank Erskine