drain and disconnect a backbiler

hello - I have just bought my first house and wish to drain and disconnect the pipes feeding the backboiler as the chimney breast has recently craked and I need to fit a log burner, therefore digging out the backboiler.

there is a drain tap next to the fire breast.

there is a pipe feeding and returning the HW tank.

if i drain the backboiler next to the fire breast, will the pipes fill back up? I can not find a supply?

would i be right in thinking the system is closed loop, or will it have a fresh water supply which i need to turn off?

I was planning on draining the BB then disconnecting the pipes when i dig the old fire breast out - i will then cap the pipes off. I guess i could do this at the HW tank but there is very little space to get in round the back of the tank.

any advice would be very much appreciated

cheers,

Ian

Reply to
ian260281

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it, a backBILER?

Major Scott

There should be a supply somewhere - usually from a second small water tank in the attic.

Is this a gas or solid fuel back biler, sorry, boiler?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Your not going to fit a log burner with a boiler?

There will be a supply to the gravity loop somewhere and a vent pipe. Most likely T'd off at the cylinder and disappearing into the loft to a small header tank. If there is central heating that will be part of this circuit as well.

Craked, sorry cracked, chimney breast sounds a bit serious from the structural point of view. There are a lot bricks (ie weight) in a chimney stack...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You need to check if you have a Primatic hot water cylinder.

It is not clear if the back boiler just heats the water cylinder or does more e.g. heat a radiator or two.

If it is a Primatic AFAIK you will have to drain the hot water tank.

If it is not, then you will just have to drain the header tank.

Either way, there will be a cold water feed somewhere to a header tank. You will need to turn off the cold water feed or tie up the ball valve in the header tank to stop the tank filling, and then drain the system.

After that you can cap off the flow and return from the back boiler, preferably as close to the hot water tank as possible (to avoid buried and concealed old bits of pipe still connected to the water supply).

I assume you have an immersion heater in the tank to heat the water.

I must say that I can't see a logical connection between the chimney breast cracking and the need to remove a back boiler and fit a log burner.

The two seem completely unrelated.

Regards

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Decommisioning a back boiler when the fireplace remains in use has some hidden dangers, which can result in the back boiler exploding some time later (a woman was killed when this happened 5 years ago).

I have a vague recollection that specific measures are required, such as ensuring it's completely emptied of water and filled with dry sand. I think you need to find a detailed description of the process, or bring in someone experienced in doing this properly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Huge

Emptied, filled with sand, and holes drilled to stop potentially explosive pressure build-up.

Reply to
S Viemeister

The HSE document I just posted a link to says they should be removed completely.

Reply to
Huge

Ideally, yes. But if removal has to wait (lack of time and/or cash), it can be made safe for the short term by filling and drilling.

Reply to
S Viemeister