12v smoke alarm for low temperatures?

Hi

I'm looking for a 12volt smoke alarm to install in my garage that I can link back to my house alarm control panel. I found one at TLC Direct but I noticed the specification states a minimum ambient temperature of 4C. A bit of googling suggests that low temperatures are a problem with smoke alarms, primarily relating to battery voltage drop in cold conditions. I'm assuming that if my detector is powered from my alarm panel then there won't be any issues in this area. But are there detection issues at low temperatures? Anyone got a working setup in their garage?

Thanks

Reply to
BodgeIt

A Menvier M12 may do the job, although this is just a detector, so you would need a sounder in the garage too. This is also a heat alarm, which may be better in a garage?

I have just ordered some of these, so can let you know what the manual says regarding operating temperature (I cant seem to find it online)

Reply to
Toby

A heat alarm would be the normal thing to fit in a garage.

Reply to
ARW

Watch that the smoke from the exhaust doesn't set it off every cold start.

Maybe a heat detector of some kind.

A simple bimetallic switch one should work but a rise in temp one would be better but are likely have a reduced operating range due to the electronics.

A lithium celled battery should cope with low temps if you want a battery operated one or for backup.

Reply to
dennis