Round pin era electrics are back

They do actually. Might be a handy way tp use up stocks of 11w CFLs - but where nowadays does one not give a fig about the resulting appearance.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ther wer a number of rivals for the design of fused plug. Two others that I came across had round pins, but I suspect it was the mechanical strength of the winner that was the reason for its selecton.

Reply to
charles

Which was removed with those bloody sleeved pins.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

That and the need for it to be incompatible (and obviously so) from the existing standard, so that one would not try using an unfused plug on a socket fed from a circuit where one is required.

Reply to
John Rumm

People used to plug lamps with thin cords into 15A outlets, so the old protection was not any good.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Round pin plugs are often seen on refurbishment programmes. Pretty well always dedicated to mains lighting. It was seeing that that prompted me to install 4 when I built our conservatory - we can have one or two table lamps (or, at this time of year, Christmas lights) and at the end of the night just hit the one wall switch to knock them off before locking the door.

There's nothing wrong with round pin plugs and sockets, ours are fused, shrouded, etc. just the same as 13A sockets.

It keeps them differentiated from the 13A ones and stops someone trying to plug a 2kW electric heater into the lighting circuit.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Made to comply with BS standards, ASTA approved would be the norm.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

... so that no bozo would try and force it into one of the old sockets.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The most likely time to get your finger into a light fitting/connector is when reaching up and replacing the bulb in the dark. It is exactly the sort of thing that many people are quite likely to do.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

If you're not confident in it, why not simply switch off the light first? I thought most people did?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

It's not so easy to be sure if, as the light in my stairwell is, it's controlled by two switches. There's a 50/50 chance that no matter what you do, it'll be live. That's assuming that some bright sparky hasn't accidentally wired the switches in the neutral....

Reply to
John Williamson

Don't you know which way up your switches are? I used to have switches like that - if they were facing the same way the light was on. And you can always remove the fuse (mind you apparently you can be clumsy enough to put your fingers in those too). I've got automatic lights in my house so I actually can't switch them off.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Doesn't stop people trying to use euro plugs with shaver sockets.

Reply to
dennis

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com escribió:

That GU10 to MR16 adapter doesn't look like a brilliant idea, given that GU10 is 240V and MR16 is 12V.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I must be as obsessive/compulsive as you then. When I wire two -way circuit I always orient them (or swap the strappers) so same=on different=off, but I doubt if there is a convention.

I wonder how Adam wires his?

Reply to
Graham.

Perhaps no one will notice until the quarterly sales figures come out.

Reply to
Graham.

Er.... I just wire them so the word "TOP" is at the top, and connect the wires inbetween from 1 to 1 and 2 to 2. Even if you didn't, surely after being in your house for a while you'd remember which way up they were. Or.... you'd know the light was on because bulbs don't blow when they're off!

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Not many lights in this house have one per switch. In fact only the bathroom does. So the other bulbs tell me it's on or off. One bulb is not enough to light a room.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Can you actually get a BS shaver socket anywhere nowadays? Both mine are designed to take a variety of plugs, including europlugs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I do it so all switches in the off position means the light is off. (That rule works for triple and more switching too.)

There is no convention that I'm aware of.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel