Stringer for stairs

Hi all. Going to replace my stairs. Mine are bog standard 13 treads and risers in an old terraced house. I fancy the cut stringer style but I should think the stringer would need be thicker than for the closed style stringer.

Anyone know the 'rule' on this?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

There's no particular rule of thumb for sizing stair stringers/ carriages/housings that I'm aware of. However you presumably have a current housed stair to use for comparison purposes - so sizing the narrowest part of a cut-carriage to equal the depth of the housing should work. Otherwise you could use the floor joist tables from the Building Regs to give you a ballpark figure for narrowest point on a cut-carriage.

Are you planning open risers and is that your motivation for changing the design? Be aware Building Regulations has quite a bit to say on stair design.

I'd recommend either one of the general joinery textbooks that cover stairs (e.g. Porter & Rose) or "Basic Stairbuilding" - Scott Schuttner

?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183562894&sr=1-2

dom