Can I eliminate the 3rd stringer on my stairs?

My current stairs are 36" wide. The treads are 11 3/4" deep and 1 1/8" thick. The risers are 6 3/4" tall. I would like to rebuild the stairs so that I can eliminate the 3rd stringer. I would like to do this because I want to build in drawers with the front of the drawer being the riser. Seems to me if I use thicker treads (3"), I could eliminate the 3rd stringer to make room for a drawer?
Reply to
Ted S.
I have built many 36" wide stairs with no center stringer, usually for decks so the treads were 1 1/2" thick. The treads should be dadoed in a closed stringer or sit on the stringer in an open stringer. A 3" tread is over kill and the drawer would be pretty skinny. Have you considered a drawer on either side of the center stringer? Double drawers but the same stairway. Good luck! Jay A.
Reply to
disqus_avkt98BRQP

Site Timeline Threads