Loft insulation

What is the type of loft insualtion that looks like chewed up newspaper called? We have had an energey survey on a house we are selling and it said there was no insulation - I want to challenge it with the correct name.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Do you mean cellulose fibre insulation, which is made from chewed up newspaper? Not just any insulation, but *eco-friendly* insulation.

This is one brand:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Nightjar wrote in news:xo2dnTaOtL9lAT3PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Does this help?

DerbyBorn

Nightjar wrote in news:xo2dnTaOtL9lAT3PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Does this help?

DerbyBorn

Nightjar wrote in news:xo2dnTaOtL9lAT3PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Does this help?

DerbyBorn

Nightjar wrote in news:xo2dnTaOtL9lAT3PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Does this help?

DerbyBorn

Nightjar wrote in news:xo2dnTaOtL9lAT3PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Does this help?

DerbyBorn

Can't one of you Virgin customers complain about the dupes? Or it'll soon be time to kill posts from their server ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Andy Burns writes

Hear, hear Hear, hear Hear, hear Hear, hear Hear, hear :-)

Reply to
fred

From what I can see, that looks more like vermiculite.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Fredxxx wrote in news:l7q9hi$rk9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks: Another picture:

Sorry about the duplicates. I keep getting a message "Done. Waiting for Confirmation" I must be more patient and stop hitting keys.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It looks pretty much like vermiculite to me. It's far more pleasant on the skin and doesn't get suck in your throat like glass fibre and I have no idea why the EPC surveyor disregarded it. They do have some strange rules, the last one I talked to said they disregard the thickness of wood if you've boarded your loft!

Rather worrying comment at the end of the wiki article I hadn't heard before concerning asbestos!

Reply to
Fredxxx

I agree. It looks a bit sparkly, which would be characteristic of expanded mica aka vermiculite..

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Thursday 05 December 2013 16:48 Fredxxx wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Is vermiculite any good as a sound insulator (between floors)?

Just wondering...

Reply to
Tim Watts

:-)

When things go wrong at Virgin (fortunately not often) you wait till they put it right (fortunately not very long). The alternative is to endure many pointless conversations....

Reply to
stuart noble

Eternal-september works well. Virgin has been shit for a long time.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

No I hadn't heard that one either. Another one here.

harryagain

It seems to be a US concern as I've seen UK building website mentioning vermiculite for insulation.

I don't know where UK vermiculite has generally come from, or its asbestos content. It seems the US vermiculite has a history of contamination.

Given the increasing measures for asbestos and the dusty nature of vermiculite I might now choose to give it a wide berth.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Is it Virgin? I use Virginmedia, and haven't had a problem with duplicate or triplicate posting.

(Famous last words? I hope not!)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Bugger! Ignore previous. Just remembered we're talking usenet here, not e-mail or browsing!

Sorry!

Reply to
Chris Hogg