Petrol or Diesel car?

Ahh, I saw a couple of A35's (2-doors, mind) racing at Goodwood a few years ago and they looked like huge amounts of fun. There's just something about tiny old UK cars that appeals.

Hmm, I suppose relatively-speaking it wouldn't cost so much to ship an A35 over to this side of the world...

Reply to
Jules

Compare to a Prius which is silent when stopped, and the difference is night and day. Diesels should be banned on many points: soot emissions, noise, etc.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Actually no, its more efficient to burn fuel in a power station than a car. And BEV's can do energy recovery that fuel cells and IC's cant.

Distribution losses are less than 3% gridwise, and a good technology battery charged slowly is better than 90% charge in to power out.

Electrolysis is very inefficient.

And it then has to be transported by tankers about 5 times the size full of one of the most flammable and leaky substances known to man.

Transmisson losses are low, build your plant where you refuel.

But even so hydrogen is light, but small it aint. Liquid hydrogen liter for liter is a lot less energy than diesel. My memory serves up 5:1 times bulkier. And liquid hydrogen is devastatingly dangerous. CF the space shuttle. It has to be adsorbed onto porous metal subnstrates to make it safe. And those are neither cheap, light, nor small, and cannot be 're tanked' quickly.

And then the fuel cell itself, operated at any sort of compact high power density, is about 50% efficient only.

The technology is a bust from start to finish.

BEVs are just about viable now. The energy density is a bit poor, and cant get much better - theoretical limits - but the efficiency overall is way better than Hydrogen.

If you want to synthesise fuel symthesise diesel from CO2 and water...

Show me one I can buy and plug into the mains then. Or find a refuelling station for.

Considerably different from petrol.

It requires extremely careful pipework. Its a low molecular size gas and leaks through all but teh best of joints., Its flashopnit is very very low. You can toss a match into a can of petrol and it will usually go out. Hydrogen is a natural gas at atmospheric pressures, so it creates explosive mixtures - fuel air bombs - very easily. Its colorless and odor less. It needs to be contained under extreme pressure, which makes leaks more likeley and their consequences far more dangerous. You need something like a calor gas cylidner at the least. Its more bulky that fuel, so its a BIG calor gas cylinder. The only really safe technique I am aware of which is still fairlyy experimental, is IIRC adsorption into a mettalised sintered ceramic..this slows the rate of release, and also make it slow to recharge.

LPG ain't hydrogen. No way.

and an even bigger one for SAFE hydrogen, as is its woeful efficiency.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But your HO is total tosh and not in the real world.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But not 60mpg as the lastest Prius does. Tsk, tsk.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yu need to look at the emission figures for the Prius and zero kerbside emissions - a big killer, one of the reasons it was made, for smog choked Jap cities. You are obviously not a very bright man - and have tattoos.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Always have "fully synthetic" oil in a turbo car. Use nothing else.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Always have "fully synthetic" oil in a turbo car. Use nothing else.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Always have "fully synthetic" oil in a turbo car. Use nothing else.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I always found petrol made it run quite well. And a bit of water in the windscreen wash, air in tyres...

Reply to
Rod

Please pour water into the engine. Pour it in now.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

people seem to regard the higher pitched whine of a petrol engine as somehow "right", while the clatter of a diesel is "wrong". Why does it matter?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

as is a BMW, you pillock.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

in smog choked inner cities its a good idea, as the rest of acknowledged about three days ago. But for everything else its crap.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

"Doctor Drivel" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, thank you. It'll ruin it. I'll keep several of my engines water-free, thank you.

Reply to
Adrian

my journey to Aberdeen is very much in the real world, you half baked loon.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

we have already established the 60 is false

Reply to
clumsy bastard

all my mates had 3 wheelers, the one with the isetta went to a chandlers and got a ship type foghorn with a 12 volt compressor. If he used it people turned round and looked *up* expecting at least a 20 wheeled juggernaut

Reply to
clumsy bastard

So's a diesel. You really must learn to turn the engine off. Perhaps that's why you had such poor economy with normal cars and have to covet an idiot one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wonder what they use in turbo cars before 'fully synthetic' arrived...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)